SA's Zuma 'showered to avoid HIV'

• News
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, South African ex-Deputy President Jacob Zuma said he showered after sex with an HIV-positive woman, thinking this would reduce his risk of being infected. However, he was found guilty of rape and is still considered a role model by many in his country.
Physics news on Phys.org
Africa's Fight Against AIDS: If you can't cure 'em, join 'em!

Hahahaha...

Ha...!

South African ex-Deputy President Jacob Zuma said he showered after sex with an HIV-positive woman, thinking this would reduce his risk of being infected.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Now I know why Africa is having the Hiv pandmeic

Don't take this so lightly. You can trip in the shower and bust your head open. Thus, you have no AIDS. or pulse.

You mean you can get aids from prostitutes?!:uhh:

Is this a serious discussion or a mockery? If the latter, please move it to GD. (I'm not saying this to Greg, but the the others)

cyrusabdollahi said:
Is this a serious discussion or a mockery? If the latter, please move it to GD. (I'm not saying this to Greg, but the the others)
Sorry. I don't see much to talk about unless it's about the African AIDS situation in general which this article only really mentions as a side line. I doubt many of us are really that familiar this this man and his political scandals.

Nice Avatar Greg,
The article shows, at least to moi, the ignorance and miseducation I suspect is rampant even in the US amongst many peoples in the world. That Zuma figured a shower could diminish his chances of contracting HIV is sad and maybe tragic.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Sorry. I don't see much to talk about unless it's about the African AIDS situation in general which this article only really mentions as a side line. I doubt many of us are really that familiar this this man and his political scandals.

Hey guys...

Ja...me from South Africa and been following the case somewhat.

Basically, Zuma was our ex-pres. He was removed from his post as such after the whole Schabir Shaik scandal (google it...it was a high-profile corruption case involving major political figures) and then he was accused of rape of the lady in question in the article.

He is a major figure in the country...he has a HUGE following as he is a politician who appeals to the people as such.

Unfortunately, all the charges against have tarnished his image as such. My personla belief was these are allegations and I'll make my decision once the courts have their say. HOWEVER, this showering thing...um..no. How dumb can u be? Worse, he was head of a moral regeneration program before he was releived of his post.

What gets me is that in a country with the highest prevalence of AIDs, he, firstly, commited adultery (be it rape or not), then denied having sex at all with the lady (initially at least...in court he said the sex was consensual) and then, he didnt use a condom even though he knew she was HIV +ve and, to top it off, (insert a huge laugh here..) HE APPARENTLY SHOWERED TO MINIMISE HIS CHANCES OF INFECTION!

what the ...

Thats just dumb.

Whats worse is that he is a role model in the country. his support is immense. VERY immense... I dunno...ja.

In recently watching the program about CGI headed up by Clinton to end AIDS, the problem of education, along with stigma was addressed. The religious taboo against condoms certainly doesn't help either. But CGI has raised over 2 million so far, and thankfully many medical professionals donate their time, and even pharmaceutical companies (e.g., Pfizer) contribute drugs.

Well this isn't as bad as an HIV positive patient purposely spitting at doctors and nurses blood and saliva and throwing his foley urine bag in general direction of the public.

At least with this guy, the lifeguards in the shallow end of a gene pool don't have much to work with

Well...He was found innocent...

http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/Zuma/0,,2-7-1840_1928961,00.html

One of my friends commented a couple weeks ago that if they couldn't convict OJ or MJ ... there is no ways JZ (jacob Zuma) could be convicted.

My view: Ok, cool...he didn't rape her...I accept that the law was laid down and to me, it's fine.

Still, he did commit adultery and HE HAD A DAMN SHOWER to prevent AIDS...hardly a role-model although by the looks of it, he is the ultimate role model now for thousands and thousands of South Africans.

Shahil said:
HE APPARENTLY SHOWERED TO MINIMISE HIS CHANCES OF INFECTION!

Don't feel too badly about it. Here in the US, we used to practice for a Soviet nuclear missile attack by climbing under our desks and covering our heads. :biggrin:

Absolutely true!

The case was interesting at least...If anybody is interested about "what we consider moral" today...it's a good idea to check out the feature on the case on the New24 site (i linked my story above from there).

It's odd that now that he's cleared of rape, he's back to the hero he used to be. BUT, he is sooo stupid (shower...) and the fact remains that he committed adultery.

What morals do we have left? It's simply telling to the thousands of South Africans now that idolise him that it's ok to go out, have unprotected sex with and HIV-positive person who is half your age and, even though you are married or in a committed and loving relationship, it's perfectly fine if she says yes and that life MUST be fine and dandy after you've done that.

I dunno...maybe I've missed something that makes that an ok thing to do...Oh well...

1. What is the context of "SA's Zuma 'showered to avoid HIV'"?

"SA's Zuma 'showered to avoid HIV'" refers to a controversial statement made by former South African President, Jacob Zuma, in 2006. Zuma claimed that he took a shower after having unprotected sex with an HIV-positive woman in order to reduce his chances of contracting HIV.

2. Is there any scientific evidence to support the idea of showering to avoid HIV?

No, there is no scientific evidence to support the idea of showering to avoid HIV. HIV is transmitted through bodily fluids such as blood, semen, and breast milk. Showering does not provide any protection against the virus.

3. Can showering after unprotected sex actually increase the risk of HIV?

Yes, showering after unprotected sex can actually increase the risk of HIV. If the person has any cuts or open wounds on their body, the virus can enter their bloodstream through the water. Additionally, showering does not eliminate the risk of HIV transmission as the virus can still be present in bodily fluids even after washing.

4. Why did Zuma make such a statement?

Zuma's statement was made in response to a rape trial where he was accused of having unprotected sex with an HIV-positive woman. He was trying to defend himself and his actions, but his statement was widely criticized and deemed scientifically inaccurate by health experts.

5. How did Zuma's statement impact the public's perception of HIV/AIDS?

Zuma's statement was damaging as it perpetuated myths and misinformation about HIV/AIDS. This can lead to people taking unnecessary risks and not taking proper precautions to protect themselves from the virus. It also undermines efforts to educate the public about the importance of safe sex practices and the realities of living with HIV/AIDS.