1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Satellite angle, remote sensing

1. Jan 12, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You have a geostationary satellite (location 0◦N 0◦E, 36000 km above geoid). Assume the Earth to be spherical with a radius of REarth = 6372km

When observing a region centered at 60◦N 0◦E:

What is the incidence angle of the satellite’s line of sight (at pixel center; surface parallel≡ 0 ◦ , nadir≡ 90◦ )?

2. Relevant equations
    φ = 60◦
    r = 6370 km

3. The attempt at a solution

http://s716.photobucket.com/user/Pitoraq/media/Rs_zpstcj5qby5.png.html?sort=3&o=0

Im not sure how to calculate the angle of incidence by that figure. This is from an exam and the solution is:

b = r × sin φ = 5517 km
    a = r − r × cos φ = 3185 km
    scan-angle (off nadir) β: tan β = b/(h+a) = 5517/(36000+3185) = 0.1408, β = 8.014◦
    parallel surface: 90◦ − φ = 30◦
    incidence-angle: γin = 90◦ − (φ + β) = 21.99◦

where do they get the relation 90◦ − φ = 30◦ from ? and where is β in my figure ?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2016 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

β is the acute angle on the far right of your sketch.

4. Jan 13, 2016 #3
    But where do they get the relation γin = 90◦ − (φ + β) = 21.99◦ from ?

5. Jan 13, 2016 #4
    I got the answer by using the sinus law (v = 21.9). But what about the mean horizontal resolution in direction, respectively (in km)? You might assume the Earth to be locally flat.
    If i call the right side of the figure d,then d is = 41639 km
    The answer is:
    tan α(lon) × d × 2 = 2.89 km
    Why did they add those terms together ?

6. Jan 13, 2016 #5

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

From there being 180° in a ∆. Your diagram is too small; you need a large, neatly drawn figure that is so spacious that you can imagine yourself walking around in it----that's how I view geometry.
    γin needs to be shown measured against a tangent to the Earth's surface, so there's your 90° between a radius and that tangent.

7. Jan 13, 2016 #6
    Yes, i saw it when i plotted a new figure. But where do the relation tan α(lon) × d × 2 = 2.89 km came from ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted