Satellite orbiting around Earth - Spacetime Metric

In summary, the metric near Earth is given by ##ds^2 = -c^2 \left(1-\frac{2GM}{rc^2} \right)dt^2 + \left(1+\frac{2GM}{rc^2} \right)\left( dx^2+dy^2+dz^2\right)##. The non-zero Christoffel symbols for this metric are ##\Gamma^t_{rt} = \Gamma^t_{tr} = \frac{\left( \frac{GM}{r^2c^2} \right)}{1-\frac{2GM}{rc^2}}, \Gamma^r_{rr} = -\frac{\left(
unscientific

Homework Statement

The metric near Earth is ##ds^2 = -c^2 \left(1-\frac{2GM}{rc^2} \right)dt^2 + \left(1+\frac{2GM}{rc^2} \right)\left( dx^2+dy^2+dz^2\right)##.

(a) Find all non-zero christoffel symbols for this metric.
(b) Find satellite's period.
(c) Why does ##R^i_{0j0} \simeq \partial_j \Gamma^i_{00} - \partial_0 \Gamma^i_{0j} = \frac{1}{2}\partial_i \partial_j g_{00}##?
(d)Why does the separation grow in time?

2012_B5_Q1.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Part(a)
Let lagrangian be ##-c^2 d\tau^2 = -c^2 \left(1-\frac{2GM}{rc^2} \right) \dot {t}^2 + \left(1+\frac{2GM}{rc^2}\right)(\dot x^2 + \dot y^2 + \dot z^2)##. The corresponding geodesic equations are
[tex] \ddot t + \frac{\left( \frac{GM}{r^2c^2} \right)}{1-\frac{2GM}{rc^2}} \dot r \dot t = 0[/tex]
[tex]\ddot r - \frac{\left( \frac{GM}{r^2c^2} \right)}{1+\frac{2GM}{rc^2}} (\dot r)^2 + \frac{\left( \frac{GM}{r^2} \right)}{1+\frac{2GM}{rc^2}} (\dot t)^2 = 0 [/tex]
The christoffel symbols are given by ##\Gamma^t_{rt} = \Gamma^t_{tr} = \frac{\left( \frac{GM}{r^2c^2} \right)}{1-\frac{2GM}{rc^2}}, \Gamma^r_{rr} = -\frac{\left( \frac{GM}{r^2c^2} \right)}{1+\frac{2GM}{rc^2}}, \Gamma^r_{tt} = \frac{\left( \frac{GM}{r^2} \right)}{1+\frac{2GM}{rc^2}} ##.

Part (b)
Given ##x=R \cos(\omega \tau)## and ##y = R \sin (\omega \tau)## and ##z=0## we have ##dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2 = (R\omega)^2 d\tau^2##. The metric now becomes
[tex]-c^2 d\tau^2 = -c^2 \left(1-\frac{2GM}{Rc^2} \right)dt^2 + \left(1+\frac{2GM}{Rc^2} \right)\left( (R\omega)^2 d\tau^2 \right)[/tex]
This relates the time duration on Earth ##dt## with proper time on satellite ##d\tau##.
[tex]dt = \sqrt{\frac{1+ \left( \frac{R\omega}{c}\right)^2 \left( 1 + \frac{2GM}{Rc^2} \right) }{1 - \frac{2GM}{Rc^2}}} d\tau [/tex]

Part(c)
Under the approximation ##\frac{GM}{rc^2} \ll 1## the christoffel symbols become ##\Gamma^t_{rt} \approx \frac{GM}{r^2c^2}, \Gamma^r_{rr} \approx -\frac{GM}{r^2c^2}, \Gamma^r_{tt} \approx \frac{GM}{r^2}##.
Not sure why ##R^i_{0j0} \simeq \partial_j \Gamma^i_{00} - \partial_0 \Gamma^i_{0j} = \frac{1}{2}\partial_i \partial_j g_{00}## holds. Is there some trick here?

Regardless, we have
[tex]\frac{1}{2}\partial_i \partial_j g_{00} = -\frac{GM}{c^2} \partial_i \partial_j \left[ (x_kx_k)^{-\frac{1}{2}}\right][/tex]
[tex] = \frac{GM}{c^2} \partial_i \left[ (x_kx_k)^{-\frac{3}{2}} x_j \right][/tex]
[tex]= \frac{GM}{c^2} \left[ \delta_{ij} (x_kx_k)^{-\frac{3}{2}}-3(x_kx_k)^{-\frac{5}{2}} x^i x^j \right][/tex]
[tex] \frac{1}{2}\partial_i \partial_j g_{00} = \frac{GM}{c^2 r^3} \left[ \delta_{ij} -3\frac{x^i x^j}{r^2} \right][/tex]

Part(d)
I suppose one is nearer to the Earth and experiences a stronger field than other. Thus the one closer to Earth experiences a greater acceleration, so the spatial distances between them increases.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bumpp

bumpp on part (b) - satellite's period. The time experienced on Earth is ##dt## while proper period is ##d\tau##, so is the period of the satellite observed on Earth simply
[tex]T = \sqrt{\frac{1+ \left( \frac{R\omega}{c}\right)^2 \left( 1 + \frac{2GM}{Rc^2} \right) }{1 - \frac{2GM}{Rc^2}}} \left(\frac{2\pi}{\omega}\right)[/tex]

?

bump on period in (b)

solved.

1. How does a satellite maintain its orbit around Earth?

A satellite maintains its orbit around Earth by balancing the force of gravity pulling it towards Earth and its forward motion, which creates centrifugal force that pulls it away from Earth. This balance causes the satellite to continuously fall towards Earth while also moving forward, resulting in a circular or elliptical orbit.

2. How does the spacetime metric affect satellite orbit?

The spacetime metric, or the curvature of space and time, affects satellite orbit by altering the path of the satellite. In Einstein's theory of general relativity, massive objects like Earth create a curvature in spacetime that causes objects to follow a curved path around it. This means that satellites must take into account the curvature of spacetime in their orbit calculations.

3. What factors influence the orbit of a satellite?

The orbit of a satellite is influenced by several factors, including the mass and gravitational pull of the Earth, the distance from the Earth's center, the speed and direction of the satellite's initial velocity, and any external forces such as atmospheric drag or gravitational pull from other celestial bodies.

4. How does the altitude of a satellite affect its orbit?

The altitude of a satellite affects its orbit by determining the strength of the Earth's gravitational pull on the satellite. Satellites in higher orbits experience weaker gravitational pull, resulting in slower orbital speeds and longer orbital periods. Conversely, satellites in lower orbits experience stronger gravitational pull, resulting in faster orbital speeds and shorter orbital periods.

5. Can a satellite's orbit around Earth change over time?

Yes, a satellite's orbit around Earth can change over time due to a variety of factors. These include atmospheric drag, gravitational pull from other celestial bodies, and changes in the Earth's mass distribution. This is why satellite operators must constantly monitor and adjust the orbits of their satellites to ensure their proper functioning.