1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Satellite Paradox

1. Sep 10, 2009 #1
    {This paradox denotes the fact that a satellite in a near circular orbit suffers an increase in velocity when subject to a drag force.}

The Specific energy of the satellite is K + U = E where K =v^2/2 is specific kinetic energy. U= -u/r is specific energy and E is specific total energy. If satellite in circular orbit then u=(v^2)*r.

If orbital radius changes by a small amount dr, what is the resulting change dE of the total energy?

3. The attempt at a solution

What I figured to do is take derivative with respect to r but if I do that it will cancel out the distance completely when I plug in the u into the E equation. I i'm not sure if that's the approach I should take. Or should I take derivative with respect to time, because as time changes distance also changes. Not to sure...

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2009 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you show what you mean by this?

4. Sep 10, 2009 #3
    So if I take the derivative of the specific total energy E with respect to the distance value r something like this:

dE/dr = -[tex]\mu[/tex]/2r --> i plug in the value of [tex]\mu[/tex] = (v^2)*r

it turns into -(v^2)*r/2r the r will cancel in this case...(or maybe i should leave one alone and continue to eval the derivative....

The other case would be to take dE/dt to see the change in dr.

5. Sep 10, 2009 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This is paradoxically true -- assuming the drag force is small, of course.

What is the total energy for a circular orbit as a function of orbital radius?

6. Sep 10, 2009 #5
    That is what I show up there its E=-[tex]\mu[/tex]/2r where [tex]\mu[/tex] = (v^2)r

7. Sep 10, 2009 #6

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If -μ/r has dimensions of energy, then how can dE/dr = -μ/2r? The dimensions don't match.

8. Sep 10, 2009 #7
    Ok then that would mean dE/dr wouldn't work so, it has to be dE/dt in order to get my answer; so in order to take the derivative with respect to time I would have to plug in v=d/t into the equation right...

9. Sep 10, 2009 #8

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

dE/dr is the correct approach.

10. Sep 10, 2009 #9
    Okay thanks I got it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook