1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Central Force problems using radial motion equation

1. Oct 6, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a satellite is in a circular orbit a distance $h$ above the surface of the earth with speed $v_0$, booster rockets are fired which double the speed of the satellite without changing the direction. Find the subsequent orbit.
    2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Before the rocket boost, If we use the radial motion equation we can find the total energy of the system, that is given by:

$$E = \frac{1}{2}\dot{r}^2 + V + L^2/2r^2 = \frac{v_0^2}{2} - \frac{\gamma}{R_e + h}$$

Where I have assumed the presence of an attractive inverse square law.
    and $L = rv_0$.

How can I continue from here? surely when the velocity increases, it isn't going to continue in a circular orbit.

After the boost, we have $$\frac{1}{2}\dot{r}^2 + V + L^2/2r^2 = \frac{1}{2}\dot{r}^2 - \frac{L^2}{2r^2} - \frac{\gamma}{r} = E $$

we can write

$$\frac{1}{2}4v_0^2 - \frac{L^2}{2r^2} - \frac{\gamma}{r} = E $$

then equating

I obtain

$$\frac{L^2}{2r^2} + \frac{\gamma}{r} = \frac{\gamma}{R_e + h} + \frac{3}{2v_0^2}$$

I don't see how the solutions to the above equation describe the orbit

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2015 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Won't it escape the Earth? Since before the boost we have ##\frac{v^2}{r}=\frac{GM}{r^2}## where ##M## is the Earth's mass, we have ##v=\sqrt{\frac{GM}{r}}##, the gravitational potential energy is ##-\frac{GMm}{r}=-mv^2## and the total potential energy is ##-\frac{1}{2}mv^2##. If the speed is doubled, the KE goes to ##2mv^2## and the total energy goes to ##mv^2##, which is positive, implying escape on a hyperbolic trajectory (ignoring the fact that it will be captured by the Sun).

So I guess by orbit, they mean the hyperbolic path it will follow. The equations for that path should be readily obtainable from a page on orbital trajectories such as this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted