Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Satisfiability vs Elementary equivalence

1. Aug 18, 2012 #1
    Hi, I have stumbled upon PF many times through Google, but this is my first time posting. Hopefully, someone will be able to help me out.

My question is about the concept of elementary equivalence in logic. According to my book, two structures A and B are elementary equivalent if: for every sentence s: A satisfies s if and only if B satisfies s. However, in my book it is also said that if B satisfies the theory of A, then A and B are elementary equivalent.

It is obvious that if this A satisfies s, then B also satisfies s (since s is in the theory of A). But I don't see how to get the other side of the "if and only if". If B satisfies s, I see no reason for s to be also satisfied by A. If B satisfies the theory of A, B could just as well satisfy other sentences too, right?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2012 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If B satisfies s, then it doesn't satisfy -s, hence A doesn't satisfy -s, hence A satisfies s.

4. Aug 19, 2012 #3

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Just a small point: elementary equivalence refers to, in my experience,to the

first-order theory of a structure. So the non-standard reals are EE to the

standard reals, but Archimedean property is not satisfied in non-standard.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook