British sitcoms on PBS: Mulberry, Keeping up Appearances and others

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
53 replies · 12K views
How about anything that's been created in the past 15 years? :smile:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
brewnog said:
How about anything that's been created in the past 15 years? :smile:

What even Dinner Ladies?:wink: :smile:
 
Schrödinger's Dog said:
What even Dinner Ladies?:wink: :smile:
I forgot that even existed it was that bad!
ZapperZ said:
What, no one here is admitting to watching Footballers Wives?

:)

Zz.
Now, that sounds like a subtle admission to me :rolleyes:
 
How have no one mentioned the "Yes, minister" series??
That's my favourite. Here's one scene:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I watched "The Young Ones" a few times, but it was just to weird for my taste.
So what is Monty Python then :smile:

The young ones was based on British student life I guess if you haven't lived in the UK and studied there u wouldn't get it...

I thought it was funny as hell
 
Anttech said:
So what is Monty Python then :smile:

The young ones was based on British student life I guess if you haven't lived in the UK and studied there u wouldn't get it...

I thought it was funny as hell

The League of Gentlemen was excellent. Really weird, I think the US is not ready for dark absurd comedy though. Not their bag generally.

The circus comes to town.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFwUY0CpkZY&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zaw-c_E6aoE&mode=related&search=



You my wife now Dave.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMVrwl9FmII&mode=related&search=

and the film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhvaxUvVK_8&mode=related&search=
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Come on guys, I can't believe no one here mentioned Red Dwarf. A janitor, holigram, and an evolved cat on a huge spaceship; how can you go wrong with characters like that?
 
Ronnin said:
Come on guys, I can't believe no one here mentioned Red Dwarf. A janitor, holigram, and an evolved cat on a huge spaceship; how can you go wrong with characters like that?

When you make the US version. :biggrin:
 
Evo said:
I haven't seen that one. It reminds me of the one where they're at the golfing resort and she goes through the hedges trying to escape the Major's advances.

I don't have cable now and I LOVE British mysteries. :frown: Perhaps they're on DVD?

Yes, both Keeping up Apearances and Fawlty Towers are available on DVD in the US. (I have both).

No one has mentioned http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/reddwarf/" , great combo of British comedy and Sci Fi.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My favs:

#1: Little Britain (the most brilliant)
#2: Green Wing
#3: Father Ted
#4: The Young Ones
 
Me and my buddy watched one today called "Spaced", apparently made by someone responsible for "Shawn of the Dead", and has the same actor. And I got to say we were laughing pretty hard. i recommend it
 
Last edited:
Here's House singing mystery.:smile:



Not a sit com but it's so good I don't care :smile:







The sit com Jeeves and Wooster.



Father Ted as mentioned.





Black Books is another good one.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Does Wallace and Gromit count? :biggrin:
 
No my bearded wizard friend, it doesn't. But congratulations, you've got the theme tune stuck in my head and it'll be there for the next week or so.

Grrrrrrrrr.
 
"some mothers do have em" good old frank spencer.
"porridge" staring one of the two ronnies, can't remember which though.
"bottom" with rik mayal and adrian edmonson, rather crude though.
 
I know most of these well. Why hasn't Ab Fab been mentioned?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Is no one a fan of Men Behaving Badly? :biggrin:
 
Ohhhhh yes!

"Mussel mate?"
"No mate, they disagree with me"
"Noooo we dooon't!"

Classic.
 
I share your taste in television. It's a refreshing change from the repetition of american sitcoms... my favourites?

Blackadder
The Goodies
Yes Prime Minister

If you haven't seen them, hunt them down.
 
Not a sitcom, but british comedy none the less- has anyone seen Hot Fuzz yet? I havn't laughed so much in ages!
 
matthyaouw said:
Not a sitcom, but british comedy none the less- has anyone seen Hot Fuzz yet? I havn't laughed so much in ages!

I just watched the trailer looks excellent :smile:

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Absolute Power, with Stephen Fry, has been highly recommended to me. I've seen some on youtube and it looks great!
 
Last edited: