Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scalar interactions amd chirality

1. Oct 26, 2015 #1
    why do scalar interactions(for example the higgs vev or its components) reverse the chirality of the interacting particle?? i think this is the key for understanding the mass generation of fermions, but i cant think of a logical reason of the reversed chirality.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2015 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I would say it's the exact opposite - because they are scalars, they don't care about chirality and thus can couple left-handed and right-handed fields.

4. Oct 26, 2015 #3
    ok thanks i understand it sort of(and sorry for posting this as a intermediate level thread. ishouldve posted it as basic...). so scalar interactions preserve angular momentum(i guess helicity... right?) but does not 'think about' chirality and therefore they can couple left-right chiral particles which leads to fermion mass...right?

5. Oct 26, 2015 #4

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. Since the scalar has zero angular momentum, in order for the interaction term with fermions to be Lorentz invariant, it is necessary to couple a left chiral field to (the conjugate of) a right chiral one. You can compare this to the kinetic terms, where, because of the appearance of the 4-vector derivative (behaves like spin 1), it is necessary to couple a chiral field to a field of the same chirality.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook