Scalar interactions amd chirality

In summary, scalar interactions do not care about chirality and can couple left-handed and right-handed fields, which allows for the generation of fermion mass. This is because the scalar has zero angular momentum and in order for the interaction to be Lorentz invariant, a left chiral field must be coupled to a right chiral one. This is similar to the kinetic terms where a chiral field must be coupled to a field of the same chirality due to the appearance of the 4-vector derivative.
kimcj
why do scalar interactions(for example the higgs vev or its components) reverse the chirality of the interacting particle?? i think this is the key for understanding the mass generation of fermions, but i can't think of a logical reason of the reversed chirality.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say it's the exact opposite - because they are scalars, they don't care about chirality and thus can couple left-handed and right-handed fields.

Vanadium 50 said:
I would say it's the exact opposite - because they are scalars, they don't care about chirality and thus can couple left-handed and right-handed fields.
ok thanks i understand it sort of(and sorry for posting this as a intermediate level thread. ishouldve posted it as basic...). so scalar interactions preserve angular momentum(i guess helicity... right?) but does not 'think about' chirality and therefore they can couple left-right chiral particles which leads to fermion mass...right?

Yes. Since the scalar has zero angular momentum, in order for the interaction term with fermions to be Lorentz invariant, it is necessary to couple a left chiral field to (the conjugate of) a right chiral one. You can compare this to the kinetic terms, where, because of the appearance of the 4-vector derivative (behaves like spin 1), it is necessary to couple a chiral field to a field of the same chirality.

Likes vanhees71

1. What are scalar interactions and chirality?

Scalar interactions refer to the exchange of particles between two systems without any change in their properties, such as spin or charge. Chirality, on the other hand, is a property of certain molecules or particles that have a non-superimposable mirror image.

2. How are scalar interactions and chirality related?

Scalar interactions can affect the chirality of molecules or particles by altering their spatial arrangement or orientation. For example, a scalar interaction between two chiral molecules can result in the formation of a new chiral molecule with a different configuration.

3. What is the significance of scalar interactions and chirality in chemistry and physics?

Scalar interactions and chirality play important roles in understanding the behavior of molecules and particles in various chemical and physical processes. They are also key factors in determining the properties and reactivity of substances.

4. Can scalar interactions and chirality be observed experimentally?

Yes, both scalar interactions and chirality can be observed and studied using various experimental techniques, such as spectroscopy, X-ray crystallography, and nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR).

5. Are there any practical applications of scalar interactions and chirality?

Yes, scalar interactions and chirality have numerous practical applications in fields such as drug development, materials science, and nanotechnology. For instance, understanding the chiral properties of molecules is crucial in designing effective and safe drugs.