Scalar product of many-particle states?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the scalar product of two non-orthogonal many particle states and expressing them as 4-vectors in the up/down basis. A sensible basis for the Hilbert space of two spin halfs is also mentioned. The conversation concludes with a clarification of the notation used for the scalar product.
Gerenuk
How do you find the scalar product of two non-orthogonal many particle states?
For example [itex]<\leftarrow,\rightarrow|\uparrow,\downarrow>[/itex]
I wanted to express both as a 4-vector in the up/down basis, but this seems weird, since then a state [itex]|\uparrow\downarrow+\downarrow\uparrow>[/itex] is like [itex]|\uparrow\uparrow+\downarrow\downarrow>[/itex].

Physics news on Phys.org
What you said is correct. Express both as a vector in the 4-dimensional space of states.
A sensible basis for the hilbert space of two spin halfs is
uu,ud,du,dd
Your last sentence doesn't make sense though. (ud+du) is obviously different from (uu + dd)
(0,1,1,0) vs. (1,0,0,1);

Your first example is
<(u-d)(u+d)/2|ud>=(1/2)<uu-du-dd+ud|ud> = 1/2.
where I've used the fact that downx = (u-d)/root(2) and upx = (u+d)/root(2) for a single spin half.

Thanks for the answer. I used to do calculations right, but I wasn't aware that some other weird approach I tried was something incorrect. I had some misconception about entanglement in mind.
Today I wrote a python program that seems to get it right and so I can play around with it :)

[itex]|\uparrow,\downarrow\rangle[/itex] is a shorthand notation for the tensor product [itex]\left|\uparrow\rangle_1\otimes\left|\downarrow\rangle_2[/itex]. I'm actually not sure if the notation [itex]\langle\leftarrow,\rightarrow|[/itex] usually puts particle 1 first, or if the order is reversed in the bras. I'm guessing that the order is the same. (Check your book to make sure). If that's the case, you're looking for the scalar product of [itex]\left|\leftarrow\rangle_1\otimes\left|\rightarrow\rangle_2[/itex] and [itex]\left|\uparrow\rangle_1\otimes\left|\downarrow\rangle_2[/itex], which is defined as

[tex]_2\langle\rightarrow|\otimes\ _1\langle\leftarrow|\ (\left|\uparrow\rangle_1\otimes\left|\downarrow\rangle_2)={}_1\langle\leftarrow|\uparrow\rangle_1\ _2\langle\rightarrow|\downarrow\rangle_2[/itex]

What is the scalar product of many-particle states?

The scalar product of many-particle states is a mathematical operation in quantum mechanics that calculates the probability of finding a system of multiple particles in a certain state. It is denoted by 〈Φ〉 and is defined as the inner product of two wave functions.

How is the scalar product of many-particle states calculated?

The scalar product of many-particle states is calculated by taking the inner product of two wave functions, which involves multiplying the complex conjugate of one wave function by the other and integrating over all possible values of the variables. This results in a single complex number that represents the probability amplitude for the system to exist in that particular state.

What is the significance of the scalar product in quantum mechanics?

The scalar product is essential in quantum mechanics as it allows us to calculate the probability of a system of particles being in a specific state. It also plays a crucial role in calculating other important quantities such as the expectation value and uncertainty of observables.

Can the scalar product of many-particle states be negative?

Yes, the scalar product of many-particle states can have a negative value. This indicates that the two wave functions have opposite phases, resulting in destructive interference and a lower probability of finding the system in that state.

What happens if the scalar product of many-particle states is zero?

If the scalar product of many-particle states is zero, it means that the two wave functions are orthogonal, and there is no overlap between them. This implies that the probability of finding the system in that state is zero, and the two states are considered to be mutually exclusive.