Composite Spin 1/2 System Probability Question

In summary, we use the Dirac notation to form a composite state from given single particle spin states, and the probability of measuring a total spin of 0 is given by the projection of the initial composite state onto the singlet state and the triplet state with m = 0.
CDL

Homework Statement

Two spin ##\frac 12## particles form a composite system. Spin A is in the eigenstate ##s_z = + \frac 12## and Spin B is in the eigenstate ##s_x = + \frac 12## What is the probability that a measurement of the total spin will give the value ##0##?

Homework Equations

I know particle A is in the state ## | \psi_A \rangle = (1,0)## and particle B is in the state ##| \psi_B \rangle = (\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} , \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} ) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} (1,0) + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} (0,1)##

The basis for the composite system is ## B = \{ \ |\uparrow \uparrow \rangle, |\downarrow \uparrow \rangle, |\uparrow \downarrow \rangle, |\downarrow \downarrow \rangle \}##

The Attempt at a Solution

My interpretation is that question is essentially asking us to find the probability that upon measurement, the particles will be measured in the singlet state, or the triplet state with ##m = 0##. Is this correct? In the case of 1 dimension, we measure projections of total spin. So is it true that we want states with ##m = 0##?

My strategy is to express the given state of the particles in terms of the basis ##B##, and then calculate the probability as follows: $$\mathbb{P}(\text{Particles measured to have total spin} \ 0) = |\langle 0 \ 0 | \psi \rangle|^2 + |\langle 1 \ 0 | \psi \rangle|^2$$ Where ##| \psi \rangle ## is the initial composite state.

I do not know how to find the initial composite state though! How do I form a composite state from some given single particle spin states? Once I have this, and verified my question about measurements of projections of spin, I should be able to solve it.

Physics news on Phys.org
CDL said:
My interpretation is that question is essentially asking us to find the probability that upon measurement, the particles will be measured in the singlet state, or the triplet state with ##m = 0##. Is this correct? In the case of 1 dimension, we measure projections of total spin. So is it true that we want states with ##m = 0##?
That's not correct. A total spin of zero means that the particles are in the singlet state. The value of the projection is irrelevant.

CDL said:
I do not know how to find the initial composite state though! How do I form a composite state from some given single particle spin states? Once I have this, and verified my question about measurements of projections of spin, I should be able to solve it.
It would be easier if you used a more consistent notation. The Dirac notation is well suited here, so
$$
| \uparrow \downarrow \rangle = | \uparrow \rangle_A \otimes | \downarrow \rangle_B
$$
and so on.

DrClaude said:
It would be easier if you used a more consistent notation. The Dirac notation is well suited here, so
|↑↓⟩=|↑⟩A⊗|↓⟩B|↑↓⟩=|↑⟩A⊗|↓⟩B​
| \uparrow \downarrow \rangle = | \uparrow \rangle_A \otimes | \downarrow \rangle_B
and so on.

Is the ##\otimes## symbol denoting a tensor product? I am finding this concept tough to understand and find good resources on. Do you have any recommendations?

Using that notation, does this working produce the correct composite state?

##\begin{align*} | \psi_a \rangle \otimes | \psi_b \rangle &= | \uparrow \rangle \otimes \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left( | \uparrow \rangle + | \downarrow \rangle \right) \\
&= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left(| \uparrow \uparrow \rangle + | \uparrow \downarrow \rangle \right)
\end{align*}##

CDL said:
Is the ##\otimes## symbol denoting a tensor product? I am finding this concept tough to understand and find good resources on. Do you have any recommendations?
Greiner's Quantum Mechanics - An Introduction has a chapter on the mathematics of QM. I think that Sakurai and Napolitano also covers this. Online, I was able to find this document: http://web.mst.edu/~parris/QuantumOne/Class_Notes/ManyParticleSystems.pdf

CDL said:
Using that notation, does this working produce the correct composite state?

##\begin{align*} | \psi_a \rangle \otimes | \psi_b \rangle &= | \uparrow \rangle \otimes \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left( | \uparrow \rangle + | \downarrow \rangle \right) \\
&= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left(| \uparrow \uparrow \rangle + | \uparrow \downarrow \rangle \right)
\end{align*}##
That's correct!

Likes CDL

1. What is a composite spin 1/2 system?

A composite spin 1/2 system refers to a quantum mechanical system that is made up of two or more quantum particles with spin 1/2. Spin is an intrinsic property of particles and is a fundamental component of quantum mechanics.

2. What is the probability of measuring a specific spin state in a composite spin 1/2 system?

The probability of measuring a specific spin state in a composite spin 1/2 system depends on the quantum state of the system. It can be calculated using the principles of quantum mechanics, such as the superposition principle and the projection postulate.

3. How is the probability of measuring a spin state affected by the interactions between the particles in a composite spin 1/2 system?

The interactions between particles in a composite spin 1/2 system can affect the probability of measuring a spin state. These interactions can cause entanglement between the particles, which can change the probabilities of measuring a specific spin state.

4. Can the probability of measuring a spin state in a composite spin 1/2 system be manipulated?

Yes, the probability of measuring a spin state in a composite spin 1/2 system can be manipulated. This can be done by controlling the quantum state of the system through various techniques, such as applying external magnetic fields or using quantum gates.

5. What real-world applications can use the principles of composite spin 1/2 systems and probability?

Composite spin 1/2 systems and their probability calculations have a wide range of applications, including quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum sensing. These principles are also used in technologies such as MRI machines and atomic clocks.