Scaling a 1 kVA reactor to 81 kVA capacity

  • Thread starter Thread starter MissP.25_5
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Inductor Reactor
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
MissP.25_5
Messages
329
Reaction score
0
Can someone help me solve this? I don't really understand how to do this.

A 1kvA reactor's capacity is needed to be enlargedto 81kvA. How much does its dimension needs to be multiplied?

Hint:
when its dimension is m times enlargened, surface A'=m'A, flux ∅'=m^2∅, current I'=m^2I, voltage E'=m^2E, Capacity E'I'=m^4EI.

Loss Pe'=m^3Pe
Temperature θ'=loss/surface area = (m^3Pe)/m^2A = mθ

My attempt:
Capacity E'I'=m^4EI. So,
E'I' / EI = m^4
81/1 = m^4
m = 3.

Is the answer 3?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like a straight scaling to me too.
It helps if you lay it out formally:

If capacity is given by ##\small C=EI##
And you know the E and I scale by: ##\small E'=m^{\tiny 2}E## and ##\small I'=m^{\tiny 2}I##; then $$C'=E'I'=m^4EI=m^4C$$
The only way you can get this wrong is if any of these relations are wrong, or if you hit the wrong buttons on your calculator.

Your answer is saying you need to increase the characteristic dimension of the reactor to 3x it's current size to get an 81x increase in capacity.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person