1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schaum's Outline of Quantum Mechanics 8.12

1. Oct 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the most probable value of r for an electron in the state n, l = n - 1 in a hydrogen-like atom?

2. Relevant equations
    Eqn (8.31)
    [tex]R_{n, n-1}(\rho) = Ae^{\rho/2}\rho^{n-1}L_{2n-1}^{2n-1}(\rho)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Although I have not proved it, I suspect [itex]L_m^m = (-1)^m m![/itex] as in the three cases provided on page 306. That is, L is a constant that can be absorbed into A.

[tex]0 = A \frac{d}{d\rho}Z\rho e^{-Z\rho/2}(Z\rho)^{n-1}[/tex]
    [tex]= A \frac{d}{d\rho}e^{-Z\rho/2}(Z\rho)^n[/tex]
    [tex]= A (-\frac{Z}{2}(Z\rho)^n + nZ^n\rho^{n-1})e^{-Z\rho/2}[/tex]
    [tex]= Ae^{-Z\rho/2} Z^n\rho^{n-1} (-\frac{Z}{2}\rho + n)[/tex]
    so
    [tex]0 = -\frac{Z}{2}\rho + n[/tex]
    or
    [tex]\rho = 2n/Z[/tex]

The book has [itex]n^2/Z[/itex]

I tend to believe that the book is correct and I am wrong because according to eqn (8.42) with l = n - 1, the average value of r is [itex](n^2 + n/2)/Z[/itex] and I would expect the average value to be near the most probable value.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2012 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are right about one thing: [itex] L_{2n-1}^{2n-1} (\rho) [/itex] is a numerical constant, i.e. independent of [itex] \rho [/itex].

Shouldn't you be squaring R before calculating its extremal point ? (Check out page 149, point c) from problem 8.5).

4. Oct 22, 2012 #3
    Actually, I followed the example of problem 8.5 part c. Note that since [itex]\psi[/itex] is real, the extrema of [itex](\rho\psi)^2[/itex] and [itex]\rho\psi[/itex] are the same. Also note that he uses [itex]\rho\psi[/itex] in his calculations in part c. However, in retrospect, I believe that the author is not correct. The most probable value for [itex]\rho[/itex] is the extremum of [itex]|\psi|^2[/itex] which is the same as the extremum of [itex]\psi[/itex]. In this case I get

[tex]0 = \frac{d}{d\rho}e^{-Z\rho/2}Z^{n - 1}\rho^{n-1}[/tex]
    [tex]= (-\frac{Z}{2}\rho + (n - 1))Z^{n - 1}\rho^{n-2}[/tex]
    [tex]\rho = \frac{2(n - 1)}{Z}[/tex]

As before, I do not think this result is correct. Do you agree that the most probable value of [itex]\rho[/itex] is the extremum of [itex]P(\rho) = |\psi(\rho)|^2[/itex]?

5. Oct 22, 2012 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Your first result is correct; you just need to write it in terms of r now.

6. Oct 22, 2012 #5
    [itex]\rho = r/ a_0[/itex], so in units of [itex]a_0[/itex], my result is [itex]r = 2n/Z[/itex]. The answer in the book is given as [itex]r = n^2/Z[/itex] also in units of [itex]a_0[/itex]. However, what do you think about my question in post #3? Did the author make a mistake by finding the extremum of [itex](\rho\psi)^2 = \rho^2P(\rho)[/itex] rather than finding the extremum of [itex]P(\rho)[/itex]?

Also, if my result is correct, why is there such a discrepency between the most probable value of r and the average value of r?

7. Oct 22, 2012 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I think you might have looked up the n=2 case for ##\rho##. It's generally defined as ##\rho = 2r/na_0##.

The author is correct. The probability is the product of ##P(\rho)## and the size of the sample space, which is proportional to ##r^2##. For example, for the 1s orbital, the P attains a maximum at the origin, but you're more likely to find the electron away from the origin. The probability of finding the electron at any single point where ##r=a_0## is less than finding it at the origin, but when you sum the probabilities over all points for which ##r=a_0##, the total probability of ##r=a_0## is greater than the probability of finding the electron at ##r=0##.

8. Oct 22, 2012 #7
    Thanks vela, I see it now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook