Fluid mechanics: water jet impacting an inclined plane

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
36 replies · 8K views
erobz said:
The normal force is:

$$ N = \rho A_1 c^2 \sin \theta$$
Ok perfect thank you very much!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Guillem_dlc said:
Ok perfect thank you very much!
I'm not really sure what's going on. How they determine ##\theta = 45^{\circ}## is a bit of a mystery I feel we haven't solved yet. Sorry, If I didn't turn out to be of much help.
 
erobz said:
I'm not really sure what's going on. How they determine ##\theta = 45^{\circ}## is a bit of a mystery I feel we haven't solved yet. Sorry, If I didn't turn out to be of much help.
Don't worry, no problem.

I suppose that in an exercise, as soon as it is not an example, everything will be better placed.
 
Frabjous said:
What book is this example from?
It isn't from a book.
 
The momentum of stream 1 can be resolved into components normal and tangential to the plane. Since the force of the plane on the water is normal to the plane (neglecting viscous friction), the normal component of the momentum from stream 1 is balanced by the normal force F. The momentum component of the stream 1 tangent to the plane is balanced by the momentum of tangential streams streams 2 and 3; this provides a basis for determining the thicknesses of streams 2 and 3.