Scholarship Opportunities for studying abroad?

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking scholarships for studying abroad in Great Britain. They are an Applied Physics major with a Computer Science minor and are specifically looking for scholarships for women in physics. Other participants suggest looking into university-sanctioned programs and trying to get existing scholarships to apply before seeking external ones. The person also shares their own experience of receiving scholarships from their university and the study abroad program.
d3nat
Hi all!

I hope this is the right place to post this.

I am trying to do a study abroad in Great Britain this spring, but none of my home institution scholarships transfer over, meaning I will have to pay a pretty hefty sum.

I'm trying to find some scholarships specifically for studying abroad. I'm doing some searching online myself, but I didn't know if anyone had anything to contribute or things that I should definitely check out.

I'm an Applied Physics major with a Computer Science minor, Junior level. I'm a female, so if there are any scholarships out there that you know of dealing specifically for women in physics, pass that along as well.

Any tips or anything is also appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
When I did a study abroad, all the billing was done through the university so my scholarships transferred over. Given I still payed more to go abroad. How exactly do your scholarships transfer over? If they aren't willing to work with you on funding, they might not be willing to work with you on course credit either. Before looking for external scholarships, try to get the ones you already have to apply. Have you looked at going with a program like ISA? If your university sanctions one of those programs, they should work with you. Does your university have an International Affairs office you can work with?

On to your original question, there simply aren't a lot of scholarships just for study abroads. I received a couple hundred dollars from my university and a bit more from the actual study abroad program

1. What are the benefits of studying abroad on a scholarship?

Studying abroad on a scholarship provides numerous benefits, including exposure to different cultures and languages, the opportunity to develop independence and self-reliance, and the chance to gain a global perspective on your field of study. It also looks impressive on a resume and can lead to career opportunities abroad.

2. How can I find scholarship opportunities for studying abroad?

There are many resources available for finding scholarship opportunities for studying abroad. You can start by researching scholarships offered by your university, government organizations, and private organizations. You can also use online databases and search engines specifically for studying abroad scholarships.

3. Who is eligible for scholarship opportunities for studying abroad?

Eligibility for scholarship opportunities for studying abroad varies depending on the specific scholarship. Some scholarships may have specific requirements such as a minimum GPA or a certain field of study, while others may be open to all students. It's important to carefully read the eligibility criteria for each scholarship before applying.

4. How competitive is it to receive a scholarship for studying abroad?

The competitiveness of scholarship opportunities for studying abroad varies depending on the scholarship and the number of applicants. Some scholarships may have a limited number of spots available, while others may have a more open application process. It's important to apply to multiple scholarships to increase your chances of receiving one.

5. Are there any additional requirements or responsibilities for scholarship recipients studying abroad?

Some scholarship opportunities for studying abroad may have additional requirements or responsibilities for recipients. This could include maintaining a certain GPA, completing a certain number of community service hours, or participating in specific cultural activities. It's important to carefully read and understand all requirements and responsibilities before accepting a scholarship.