1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying Abroad - Semester Exchange

1. Jan 7, 2016 #1
    Hi,

I'd like to know if anyone has any information on how someone is able to attend a university on exchange that is not partnered with their home university? I am from Australia and my university has ties with many universities, however, I want to potentially go on exchange in Germany to study mechanical engineering.

My university charges me for the classes/units I do internationally at the same rate as I am charged at home, and also gives me credit for the units in replace of the ones I would have done if I hadn't gone on exchange.

They do have 7 partnerships in Germany, though none of these are at the quality or location that I'm interested in.

What would the process be to study at an international university without the aid of my university? would I need to pay upfront and have the possibility of not have recognition of what I've potentially studied abroad? or is this something that can only be answered by my university.

Thanks for your time!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

If you have special institutes in mind (may I ask which ones?) why don't just ask them? Write letters for I think emails are too easy to answer without thinking about it or too easy to delete. Usually the main difficulties are the different standards in countries at the beginning of the process. That's behind you. So you should write either a university's / FH's / TU's / TH's secretariat or - if you know one - a professor.

You may also have a look at http://www.australien.diplo.de/Vertretung/australien/en/Startseite.html.

4. Jan 7, 2016 #3
    I'm intersted in either TU Berlin or TU Darmstadt. I'll take your advice and draft letters to the respective universities.

Thank you for the link, I'll be sure to have a look into it :)

5. Jan 7, 2016 #4
    Some of the universities have a 'semester fee' is that what they charge for tuition per semester? as it is quite low, sub 300 euro.

6. Jan 7, 2016 #5

fresh_42

Darmstadt has the advantage that GSI and ESA is there. Also addresses that possibly could be contacted.
    Maybe one day it's you to start the 8th row :wink:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  7. Jan 7, 2016 #6

fresh_42

I know there is a small administration fee. Part of it pays because of cheaper public transport and alike. But I don't know actual numbers.

8. Jan 7, 2016 #7
    Wow I did not know that either of those were there, the GSI is quite impressive.

On one of their web pages for international students, they have this:

General Calculation of costs to study in Darmstadt
    Rent ca. 350 – 400 Euro
    Statutory health insurance
    (including long-term care insurance) ca. 80,00 Euro
    Food, Clothing ca. 400 Euro
    Learning materials ca. 50,00 Euro
    Phone, Internet, etc. ca. 35 – 50 Euro
    Semester fee (semi-annual) actual 263,21 Euro

The estimated and required financial requirements of ~8,000 euro is okay (self-funded) but I'm curious if the semester fee is the coverage of tuition. It's probably best to just email them about this isn't it?

9. Jan 7, 2016 #8

fresh_42

Those numbers are average living costs per month, except the last. Many students have a smaller job to earn some money.

10. Jan 7, 2016 #9
    And the last would be what a german national pays for their university education on a semester basis?

11. Jan 7, 2016 #10

fresh_42

The semester fee depends on the university or TU in this case. It's basically a fee for being enrolled. As its name says it's due per semester, so twice a year. But with it you can get cheaper tickets for public buses and trams and museums and such things. Btw. Darmstadt is just 40 km south of Frankfurt Airport.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook