Schrodinger Equations - wave propagation

In summary: In particular, it is giving a physical interpretation to quantum entanglement. I think this is an important step in understanding the true nature of the universe.In summary, The Schrodinger equation is a relativistic equation that represents a wave with velocity c. It is important in understanding the relationship between wave equation and wave propagation.
krindik
Hi,
Can somebody point me in the correct direction of learning about Schrodinger Equations in relation to Wave propagation. I came across Schrodinger Equations in some texts but couldn't quite understand some background. Most of the time the author used it from nowhere.

Really appreciate if you would point me to some online / book references.
Even wikipedia gives only a set of equations. I would hope some derivation/formulation based on Maxwell equations.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What background do you have? If you are comfortable with Fourier transforms the Dover book Quantum Theory by David Bohm does a nice job motivating this.

Note that Schrodenger's equation is not derived from Maxwell's equations.

Thanks.
Yes I'm OK with Fourier transforms.
I'm looking to understand the Schrodinger relationship in the context of wave propagation.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/schrcn.html
speaks only in abstract terms.

So far I'm happily going through understanding dispersion, dielectric loss etc. But in several references I came across the Shrodinger equation but don't know how it fits in with wave propagation.

Take the wave equation and you see that the solution can be written as
φ(x,t) = A(x) e^{- i t w} where omega is the angular frequency. De Broglie says that the energy is E = \hbar w . Now you see that the Schrodinger equation id the square root of the wave equation.

i \hbar ∂ φ(x, t) / ∂ t = E φ(x, t)

naturale said:
De Broglie says that the energy is E = \hbar w

Einstein says that.

Thanks naturale !
That was very clear.
Anyway why is the wave equation represented as a schrodinger equation? Is there any particular importance related to wave propagation.

I would really like to read some text with explanation like u gave + plus some insights into the importance of representing in schrodinger equation. Could u point me to some?

Thanks

In the relativistic limit the Schrodinger equation becomes the KG equation, which (in particular in the massless case) represents a wave with velocity c. If you want to see the relation of the SE with wave equation you must study quantum field theory.

To have an idea look to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klein-Gordon_equation .

I don't how much in details you want to go, but on the interpretation of QM in terms of classical periodic waves my filling is that it is starting a new era.

1. What is the Schrodinger equation and why is it important in wave propagation?

The Schrodinger equation is a mathematical formula that describes the behavior of quantum particles, such as electrons, in a given system. It is important in wave propagation because it allows us to predict the probability of finding a particle at a certain location and time, and how its wave function will change over time.

2. How does the Schrodinger equation differ from other wave equations, such as the wave equation for classical waves?

The Schrodinger equation incorporates both the wave-like and particle-like properties of quantum particles, while the wave equation only describes the behavior of classical waves. Additionally, the Schrodinger equation is a complex-valued equation, which allows for interference effects to be taken into account.

3. Can the Schrodinger equation be applied to all types of waves?

No, the Schrodinger equation is specifically designed for describing the behavior of quantum particles and their associated wave functions. It is not applicable to classical waves, such as electromagnetic waves or sound waves.

4. Are there any limitations to the Schrodinger equation in predicting wave propagation?

Yes, the Schrodinger equation is a non-relativistic equation, meaning it does not take into account the effects of special relativity. It also does not account for certain phenomena, such as particle interactions and quantum tunneling.

5. How is the Schrodinger equation solved in practical applications?

The Schrodinger equation is typically solved using numerical methods, such as the finite difference method or the finite element method. These methods involve discretizing the equation and solving it iteratively to approximate the wave function and its evolution over time.