Schrodinger's time independent equation

In summary, the conversation is about seeking help for solving a differential equation using separation of variables. The person asking for help is unsure about how to approach the equation, but the mentor suggests substituting the given function and evaluating the derivatives. The person then confirms that the method works and thanks the mentor.
saintkickass
[Mentor's note: This thread does not use the standard homework template because it was moved here from one of the non-homework forums.]

Hi,
Looking for help on what to do next.

Question (it's in two parts but part 1 is like two lines):
Part 1: http://imgur.com/BwyNwsE [1]
Part 2: http://imgur.com/LrIh4IP [2]

Normally my approach is to evaluate the double derivative on the LHS and rearrange until I can equate it to the RHS. This time I'm unsure what to make of Φ as it's not expressed in terms of x and y.
What am I looking at and how do I go about solving it?
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Take the given ##\psi(x,y,z)##, substitute it into the (3-dimensional) time independent S.E., and evaluate whatever derivatives you can evaluate.

Likes 1 person
jtbell said:
Take the given ##\psi(x,y,z)##, substitute it into the (3-dimensional) time independent S.E., and evaluate whatever derivatives you can evaluate.

Hey, I think that works. Thanks :)

What is Schrodinger's time independent equation?

Schrodinger's time independent equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of a quantum system in terms of its wave function.

Why is it called "time independent"?

The equation is called "time independent" because it does not take into account the change of the wave function over time. Instead, it describes the stationary states of a system.

What is the significance of Schrodinger's time independent equation?

Schrodinger's time independent equation is significant because it allows us to calculate the possible energy levels and corresponding wave functions of a quantum system.

How does Schrodinger's time independent equation differ from the time dependent equation?

The time independent equation does not include the time variable, while the time dependent equation takes into account the change of the wave function over time.

What are the applications of Schrodinger's time independent equation?

Schrodinger's time independent equation is used in various fields such as quantum mechanics, chemistry, and solid state physics to study the behavior of atoms, molecules, and other quantum systems.