Solving Schrödinger Equation: Step-by-Step Tutorial

• Thread starter Superposed_Cat
  • Start date
In summary: I'm sorry, I didn't understand this part. In summary, a 10th grade student with a basic understanding of matrices, differential calculus, and integration is seeking help with understanding the Schrödinger equation. They are looking for a detailed step-by-step guide for solving the equation in one and two dimensions. They are also having trouble with the iH part of the equation and are looking for resources to learn about higher math concepts. The conversation also discusses the necessity of having a background in physics before attempting to learn quantum mechanics and the difficulty of solving equations in general.
Superposed_Cat
Hi all, I am a 10th grade student who has a basic grasp on matrices, differential calculus and can integrate. I am having trouble with the Schrödinger equation (which part? where to start and just all of it)I was wondering where I could find a detailed stepwise walkthrough to the Schrödinger equation. It would be nice to have one in both one and 2 dimensions. Thanks for ANY help that I receive.

I also don't get the iH part what are you supposed to do there? and by the way I live in a place where it's virtually impossible to get an advanced physics textbook.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have any experience with wave equations? Or any partial differential equations? What about complex numbers?

Also, there is more than one way to write the Schrödinger equation so it would be helpful if you let us know the exact equation you're talking about.

The first example of solving the Schrödinger equation, that just about everybody does, is the "infinite square well" a.k.a. "particle in a box." Have you seen that yet?

A Google search for "infinite square well" turns up lots of lecture notes, many of which unfortunately seem to assume you have a book handy, or are supplements to an in-class lecture. This page, however, seems to be mostly self-contained, and does it pretty much the way I used to do it in a second-year intro modern physics course:

http://physicspages.com/2011/01/26/the-infinite-square-well-particle-in-a-box/

It does make reference to another page on the time-independent SE:

http://physicspages.com/2011/01/22/the-time-independent-schrodinger-equation/

Superposed_Cat said:
Hi all, I am a 10th grade student who has a basic grasp on matrices, differential calculus and can integrate. I am having trouble with the Schrödinger equation (which part? where to start and just all of it)I was wondering where I could find a detailed stepwise walkthrough to the Schrödinger equation. It would be nice to have one in both one and 2 dimensions. Thanks for ANY help that I receive.

I suspect that you don't have any real experience with physics, and are trying to start off with QM. You can't fully appreciate QM without having studied (bare-minimum) classical mechanics. It's very much like trying to watch a movie in a foreign language without even knowing the alphabet.

If you're really dead-set on trying to learn QM, you could try a book like Griffiths' "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics", but I don't think anybody here would advise this, especially since you haven't told us about your physics background.
Superposed_Cat said:
I also don't get the iH part what are you supposed to do there?
##\hat{H} = -\frac{\hbar ^2}{2m}\nabla ^2 +V## is the Hamiltonian operator, and ##i## is the imaginary number.

Last edited:
the only thing I have experience with is calculus, any website that teaches the higher math in a format that's easy to understand? Plus what's the inverted triangle?

The "inverted triangle" is the nabla operator. In Schrödinger's equation, you see its square:
$$\nabla^2 \psi = \frac{\partial^2 \psi}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2 \psi}{\partial y^2} + \frac{\partial^2 \psi}{\partial z^2}$$

Have you studied partial derivatives yet? (e.g. ##\partial \psi / \partial x##)

In the USA, people usually learn these in the third semester of an undergraduate calculus course. It often goes by the name "vector calculus." Even introductory QM books and web pages assume that you have studied that much calculus, and are at least acquainted with the basic ideas of differential equations.

I can do differential equations, I have not done pde's yet though...any links? sorry to bother.

You really don't need to know anything special about PDEs in order to start learning about solving Schrödinger's equation. If you know what partial derivatives are, you'll be OK.

In the standard examples that all introductory QM textbooks use, the first thing they do is use the "separation of variables" technique to convert the partial differential equation into two or more ordinary differential equations. The second page that I linked to above describes that.

If I can solve Schrödinger eqn can I then solve any physics equation? aside from ones in general relativity.

Superposed_Cat said:
If I can solve Schrödinger eqn can I then solve any physics equation? aside from ones in general relativity.

No.

It's just one equation. There are inumerous more to solve too.

Some equations even have no analytical solution.

craigi said:
No.

Some equations even have no analytical solution.
Like what?

Even Schrödinger's equation has analytical solutions (ones that you can write down formulas for) for only a few highly symmetric situations. In general, you have to use numerical methods to generate the solution point by point and e.g. make a graph of it.

Superposed_Cat said:

I don't mean to be rude, but what are you talking about? I seriously can't see a point in studying QM without knowing any physics beforehand. Asking a question like this is ridiculous (and also extremely vague). The answer is a big "NO". As others have said, most ODEs,PDEs can't be solved analytically, and Schrödinger's equation is not "One equation to rule them all"

We have countless people coming on the forums, both kids and adults, asking to "learn" quantum mechanics when they haven't studied any prior physics/math. There's a reason QM is not taught (generally) as a first year course. Physics is way more than mathematics. Just because you have experience with calculus (and I suspect little experience, too) doesn't mean you understand the physics!

I appreciate that you are eager to study physics, but please DO IT THE RIGHT WAY. A great first textbook is An Introduction to Mechanics. The math is simple, but the physics is fairly advanced for a first year text. It doesn't cover Lagrangian mechanics, but you can use another book for that.

True astrum, but what I meant was assuming you learned math in the same sequence taught by schools up until integral calculus could you solve the vast majority of physics equations aside form topological ones or ones that require tensors? i.e. does it get harder than pde's and tensors?

Astrum said:
Introduction to Mechanics. The math is simple, but the physics is fairly advanced for a first year text. It doesn't cover Lagrangian mechanics, but you can use another book for that.

I really don't have money for textbooks, or in general. Hence me asking for links.

Superposed_Cat said:
I really don't have money for textbooks, or in general. Hence me asking for links.

Yeah, the answer is still no. Linear Algebra is a very important field that is used all the time in physics, you'll encounter a lot in QM (although not too much in Griffiths QM).

I'm sure you can use "other means" for getting textbooks. Linking illegal content will get your post removed, but I'm sure you're resourceful enough to do it on your own.

Superposed_Cat said:

Many professors and universities post excellent lectures and lecture notes online, and being good at googling for these is also a good method for learning. A good way to filter for these is to put "site:.edu" in with your google search, automatically returning results from an .edu domain so that you're more likely to return lecture notes.

My undergrad quantum mechanics professor posted all of his course books for free online:
http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching.html

Hey, I can do it now thanks to YouTube! :) Thanks for all your help

This site gives an enlightning (for me, anyway) view of the math required for physics.
http://superstringtheory.com/math/ Don't forget to go to pages II and III.

Susskind's lecture on entanglement at theortical minimum.com is simplified mathematically and may give you interesting starting points for further learning. The site also has many other courses.
http://theoreticalminimum.com/courses/quantum-entanglement/2006/fall

1. What is the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the evolution of a quantum system over time. It was developed by Austrian physicist Erwin Schrödinger in 1925.

2. Why is solving the Schrödinger equation important?

Solving the Schrödinger equation allows us to determine the wave function of a quantum system, which contains all the information about the system's properties and behaviors. This is crucial for understanding and predicting the behavior of atoms, molecules, and other quantum systems.

3. What are the steps for solving the Schrödinger equation?

The steps for solving the Schrödinger equation are: (1) defining the system and its potential, (2) choosing a mathematical representation, (3) applying the Schrödinger equation, (4) solving for the wave function, and (5) interpreting the results.

4. What is the mathematical representation used to solve the Schrödinger equation?

The most commonly used mathematical representation for solving the Schrödinger equation is the time-independent Schrödinger equation, which is a partial differential equation. It can be solved using various techniques such as separation of variables, perturbation theory, and numerical methods.

5. Are there any limitations to solving the Schrödinger equation?

Yes, there are certain limitations to solving the Schrödinger equation. It can only be applied to systems at the quantum scale and does not accurately describe the behavior of macroscopic objects. Additionally, it assumes that the system is in a well-defined state at all times, which may not always be the case in reality.