Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sci-fi/science DVD collection

1. Oct 1, 2006 #1
    I am looking for more DVDs to add to my collection. My current collection includes the following:

Cosmos
    IMAX Cosmic Voyage
    Stargate SG-1 through season 7
    Star Trek Voyager complete series
    Star Trek DS9 complete series
    Star Trek TNG seasons 4,5,6, and all TNG movies
    The Universe- a guided tour
    Understanding the Universe-The Learning Channel

I have S. Hawking's Universe, and TLC's The Universe 2001 on vhs.

Any recommendations to add?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2006 #2
    The BBC Planet Earth series narrated by David Attenborough is stunningly filmed. Each episode has a epilogue showing how they got some of the more spectacular shots. I don't know where you can DVDs

That brings to mind the SF film The Quiet Earth, a hidden gem.

4. Oct 1, 2006 #3
    Thanks! I will look for those.

5. Oct 1, 2006 #4

JamesU

Gold Member

Alien
    Aliens

forget 3 and 4

6. Oct 1, 2006 #5

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2001: A Space Odyssey
    Silent Running
    Bladerunner

7. Oct 1, 2006 #6
    Never heard of Silent Running.....I'll have to check it out sometime.
    Thanks!

8. Oct 1, 2006 #7
    I took a look at what was at Amazon, and I couldn't find the actual recent BBC series. Pretty sure this one is it, so if you have a region-free player that can do PAL to NTSC...

(And actually, I got it from mininova.org...)

9. Oct 1, 2006 #8

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Logan's Run
    Zardoz
    The Returner
    Lifepod
    Pitch Black
    Clockwork Orange

10. Oct 1, 2006 #9
    I have Pitch Black on VHS and would like to have it on DVD.
    Never heard of the others except Clockwork Orange.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I will check them out too!

I am also thinking of getting the first season of Gene Roddenberry's Earth: Final Conflict.

11. Oct 1, 2006 #10
    Well, if TV is OK, the new Battlestar Galactica is great, very well written, produced, and acted, nothing like the old cheesy BSG.

I liked Earth: Final Conflict the first season, but it really jumped too many sharks after that.

12. Oct 1, 2006 #11

JamesU

Gold Member

2001 and Clockwork are great-you should get them

Also, Contact is a great movie

13. Oct 1, 2006 #12
    Yes, Contact is a great movie. I think I have that on VHS too. There are a lot of things I have on VHS and need to upgrade to dvd.

14. Oct 1, 2006 #13

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Logan's Run is excellent. Zardoz is, well, Sean Connery in a diaper.

Planet of the Apes- The first is terrific, only die hard sci fi fans have made it through the rest of the series with me but I like them all (especially Escape from the Planet of the Apes). The new one was, flashier I guess. Can't go wrong with Helena Bonham Carter in a monkey suit though.
    Red Dwarf- BBC comedy series, very funny for the first 6 seasons. Season 7 is not so good, season 8 is a shambles.
    Spaceballs- corny, but amusing
    Soylent Green- parodied many times
    Rollerball (the old Norman Jewison one, not the recent one)
    The Time Machine (the 1960 one, the new one had a few good moments)
    The Day the Earth Stood Still (Klaatu Barada Nicto!)

Next on my Sci-Fi to watch list is Solaris, the original Russian version. The new one with Clooney was lousy, but I've heard good things about the original so I have my hopes up.

15. Oct 1, 2006 #14

Pythagorean

Gold Member

I remember watching that. It wasn't so terrible that I shut it off, but I can't remember the plot either.

The russian verson, that is. Subtitles :/

16. Oct 1, 2006 #15

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Why do people collect DVDs?

How many times on average do you rewatch a movie?

17. Oct 1, 2006 #16

JamesU

Gold Member

IDK, but we have ~200

18. Oct 1, 2006 #17

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Subtitles don't bother me, there's enough great films not in english that I've gotten used to them. Hardly any conscious effort to read them now. Much better than dubbing, unless it's some horrible kung-fu movie to begin with- cheesy dubbing adds to the effect.

The cost of a dvd can be up to about 6 or 7 times the cost of renting it once. Good ones I own, I'll probably watch once a year or so. Admitedly, I would watch them less if they weren't on hand and convenient, but a great film is well worth it for me to own. They'll usually make their way through a few friends hands as loans as well.

Some older dvds can be had cheap, I picked up Logan's Run for about $8 I think, the cost of renting it twice. Easily worth it.

Also, for new movies, buying the dvd is about the same price as seeing it in a first run theatre with my girlfriend. If we expect it to be worth owning, we sometimes just wait for the dvd and skip the theatre.

19. Oct 1, 2006 #18

Pythagorean

Gold Member

I'd have to say I agree. Pactis De Lupis (brotherhood of the wolf) is an excellent example of this. French audio, subtitles, kick ass movie, but for the english version, the actors that did the dubbing made the movie suck.

20. Oct 1, 2006 #19

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I had high hopes for Le Pacte des Loups and found it fell short. It was still pretty good though. (I only watched the french audio version)

Big advantage of dvd over vhs is having multiple audio tracks on the same disc, so you don't have to worry about the good version being available.

21. Oct 2, 2006 #20

DaveC426913

Gold Member

"Watching a movie on TV is like getting a kiss over the phone."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?