Scientific Facts Yet to be Explained

In summary, the conversation discussed various scientific facts that have not yet been fully explained by science. These facts include the moon and star illusions, high-temperature superconductivity, self-replicating coathangers, and lightning balls. While some of these phenomena have been studied and accepted by scientists, others are still controversial. Ball lightning, in particular, has been observed and studied by scientists, but its true nature and origin remain a mystery. There have also been reports of artificial ball lightning being created in laboratory experiments. Overall, the conversation highlighted some of the intriguing and unexplained aspects of science and the natural world.
quddusaliquddus
If anyone knows any scientific facts that haven't yet been expained by science please post them here.

Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org
Flight

Flight of Bees and Butterflies.

Moon Illusion and Star Illusion

The moon looks larger (i.e. closer) when near the horizon than when in the sky. The stars look further away at the horizon than in the sky.

high-temperature superconductivity

thanks ivan seeking.

You're welcome. :biggrin:

Self-replicating coathangers. (Don't try to tell me it doesn't happen; I have a closet full of the fartin' things and I started with 3. :grumpy: )

Danger said:
Self-replicating coathangers. (Don't try to tell me it doesn't happen; I have a closet full of the fartin' things and I started with 3. :grumpy: )

You must have all the ones that mysteriously disappear from mine.

The cold fusion bit isn't quite accurate. As I read the report, there was a consensus that there seems to be an anomaly buried in the results that people have gotten, but I don't think there is any good [or much] evidence that fusion is the reason. This is linked in the Credible Anomalies Napster linked above.

Also, we know how bees fly now.

Danger said:
I always seem to be short on hangers. Maybe they're just migrating.

quddusaliquddus said:
If anyone knows any scientific facts that haven't yet been expained by science please post them here.

Thank You.
:confused: If it hasn't been explained by science yet, how is it a scientific fact?

Moonbear said:
:confused: If it hasn't been explained by science yet, how is it a scientific fact?

You can make valid and consistent observations of a phenomenon without knowing the cause behind it.

i took a look at ivan's list, and all the things i had to say were there... EDIT: founk 'spook' lights: http://www.unmuseum.org/spookl.htm

i just wanted to add that the most interesting phenomenon I've stumbled upon was lightning balls -it was on ivan's list, but i wanted to highlight this one, because it's so weird and beautiful.
here is a simulated image of the lightning ball: http://www.unmuseum.org/ballite.jpg
Ball lightning is a rare effect in which a glowing, drifting bubble of light, typically some eight inches in diameter, appears. On the very rare occasions it is seen, it often, though not always, follows a regular lightning strike. The very existence of ball lightning has for some years been controversial. Many scientists contended that the glowing ball was merely the after-image seen by the witness after a regular lightning strike. (An after-image is the spot you see in your eye after watching a bright light like a camera flash). More and more scientists are beginning to accept the existence of ball lightning as a true electrical phenomenon. In fact, scientists at the Edinburgh University Department of Meteorology had their own brush with ball lightning when one morning, after a storm, they arrived at their offices and found a two and one half inch round hole, with smooth edges, in the window. Since the glass was fused, it is believed it was melted away by the passage of ball lightning.

Ball lightning when seen can be terrifying. In August of 1966 in Crail, Scotland, Mrs. Kitty Cox was out walking her dogs when she heard a tremendous clap of thunder followed by screaming. She saw children running as a luminous orange ball came hissing toward her. "My dogs panicked," she recalls, "and I watched it as it went past very quickly, hissing and whirring, and went right across into the sea."

One of the best observations of the phenomena occurred when Professor R. C. Jenninson of the Electronics Laboratories at the University of Kent was flying in an Eastern Airlines Jet from New York to Washington in March of 1963. The plane was caught in a thunderstorm and struck by regular lightning. A few seconds later a glowing sphere emerged from the pilots cabin and floated down the aisle. The ball, which was also seen by a stewardess, continued down the aisle and disappeared near the rear lavatory.

Ball lightning lasts only a couple of seconds, or up to a minute, then it disappears by either exploding or dissipating. Exactly what it is is still unknown, but some scientists believe it is a sphere of plasma. Plasma is the fourth state of matter besides, liquid, solid and gas. It is hot, electrically charged and fluid-like. While it exists in abundance in the universe inside stars it is usually not found on Earth except at the heart of a nuclear explosion. How it might exist as a free-floating bubble under normal conditions is unknown.

An artificial version of ball lightning has been reported on submarines that use huge batteries to operate their engines. Improper connection of the battery causes an electrical discharge that sometimes reportedly spawns glowing, hot balls. Professor James Tuck, of Los Alamos Laboratories, heard about this and attempted to duplicate with effect using a submarine battery stored on campus. Most of his tests produced nothing resembling ball lightning, but in a final experiment before the lab was disassembled Tuck introduced a low concentration of methane around the area of the discharge. The result was an unexpectedly large explosion and the end of the experiments. Later, film from movie cameras operating during that last test showed something Tuck hadn't seen at the time: a four inch round glowing ball.

they haven't said it on this quoted part, so i'll add it - lightning balls are know to pass through closed windows, they usually travel horizontally, though the may ascend or descend too, they have been roported to brush against living things and scorch them a little (not making burns)...

this is VERY interesting too: http://www.chukanovenergy.com/index.php?section=27
i found an image too.
BallLight.jpg

another picture may be found here, along with a long explanation from the one who shot it.
http://www.ernmphotography.com/Pages/Ball_Lightning/Ball_Lightning_ErnM.html

Last edited:

1. What are some scientific facts that have yet to be explained?

Some scientific facts that have yet to be explained include the origin of the universe, the nature of consciousness, the mechanism of gravity, the cause of aging, and the existence of dark matter and dark energy.

2. Why haven't these scientific facts been explained yet?

Many scientific facts have not been fully explained because they are complex and require a deep understanding of various fields of science, and because technology and methods for studying them are constantly evolving.

3. How do scientists approach unexplained scientific facts?

Scientists approach unexplained scientific facts by formulating hypotheses, conducting experiments and observations, and analyzing data in order to develop theories that can explain the observed phenomena.

4. Are there any ongoing efforts to explain these scientific facts?

Yes, there are ongoing efforts by scientists and researchers to explain these scientific facts through continued research and collaboration across various disciplines.

5. Will we ever be able to fully explain all scientific facts?

It is difficult to say if we will ever be able to fully explain all scientific facts, as new discoveries and questions continue to arise. However, with advancements in technology and scientific understanding, we are constantly making progress towards a better understanding of the natural world and the universe.