1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Scientific Method and Spontaenous Generation (Microbiolog)

1. Jun 27, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Scientific Method - Set procedures / steps to investigating a thought / observation
    Spontaneous Generation - Living things came about by non-living things

2. Relevant equations
    Define the importance of the scientific method with respect to the theory of spontaneous generation.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm thinking:

The scientific method doesn't really take anything as "set in stone" even after something has become a theory it can be later disproved? So although many believed Spontaneous Generation, as the years went by it was disproved. And that's the importance of the scientific method with respect to the theory of spontaneous generation it allows for everything and anything to be tested.

Is that it?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2011 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I think you are expected to explain how the scientific method was used to disprove SG theory, not to write some general/philosophical comments.

4. Jun 29, 2011 #3

cep

I agree with Borek. What experiments would you do (even today) to disprove spontaneous generation?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook