Searchable museum of American history

  • Topic: History 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    History
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Messages
24,114
Reaction score
3,277
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
More art than history. They say 12,000 BC but I couldn't find anything. AFAIK the question of American settlement is still not finally answered. There are some conflicting hypothesis, especially with findings in South America, but as well some evidence, that flintstones found had more in common with early European techniques than with the Clovis. And there is evidence for earlier findings than the Bering Strait bridge would have allowed. Sorry, if that was a distracting commentary, but I find the question about the first immigrants extremely exciting.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman
fresh_42 said:
More art than history. They say 12,000 BC but I couldn't find anything. AFAIK the question of American settlement is still not finally answered. There are some conflicting hypothesis, especially with findings in South America, but as well some evidence, that flintstones found had more in common with early European techniques than with the Clovis. And there is evidence for earlier findings than the Bering Strait bridge would have allowed. Sorry, if that was a distracting commentary, but I find the question about the first immigrants extremely exciting.
Yes, there has been a lot of controversy over the first people to settle North America. Clovis was long thought to be the first but now seems to have been overturned.
 
BillTre said:
Here is an article on recent findings about pre-Clovis people who probably got south by sailing down the west coast.
Paywall for me. The difficulty with too pre-Clovis is I think the missing land bridge in the Bering Strait.

I have seen a South American (I think it was a Chilean) anthropologist who favors the idea of polynesian first settlers, at least in South America. And IIRC the genes of todays Indian civilizations in the north fit better to Siberian populations than South East Asian. And the flintstone fabric found in the US might indicate an early European influence, which was proposed by an American anthropologist. That is pretty far fetched, but not impossible. We simply assume they couldn't sail such distances. It could explain the eastern settlers while North America was buried beneath an ice shield.

I guess we'll have to wait until mitDNA investigations tell us the whole story, if it is one story at all, and not two or three. Until then it's a big mystery.
 
fresh_42 said:
Paywall for me.
Opps, thought it wasn't for some reason.
Its about an inland finding, up the Columbia river, that predates clovis and has different style tools.