Lightweight laptop under 13 inches: alternatives to Mac and Dell D420

  • Thread starter Thread starter JasonRox
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Laptop Mac
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
15 replies · 6K views
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Messages
2,394
Reaction score
4
Ok, I already have a laptop, but I want a smaller one.

The one I have is a Dell Inspirion with a 14.1 inch screen.

I'm looking for one that's like 13.3 or even better one that is 12.1 inches. I want a small laptop. The weight of my laptop is just too much. It hovers close to 7 pounds.

I know they have small Mac's and I've heard Dell D420's are small too, but are there any other options. The Mac's are cheaper than the D420's so there has to be cheaper PC's out there.

Thanks. :biggrin:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Get the Averatec 2300. 12.1", 4 pounds, 1GB RAM, AMD Turion X2 (Dual 1.8Ghz) , hardrive 100 GB SATA, NVIDIA 6400, bright hi-def screen, good feeling durable keyboard and trackpad for about 900$.

It is not the smallest laptop in the 12.1" category, but its performance is way beyond any other non 17" laptop. Every Sony Vaio I have seen is painfully slow, I would not want to spend 2000$ on that.
 
I'm probably going to go with the Averatec. That looks sick.
 
Hahahah, I have the dell inspiron. It is one heavy brick.
 
JasonRox said:
That laptop looks sick.

I'll need to install Windows on it though. I'm not familiar with Linux.

You can get it as a dual boot system Linux and Windows for about $100 more. That was the lightest laptop I have seen. Once you learn about *nix, you might not want to go back to Windows.
 
Last edited:
Sony make very small Vaio's - I see a lot of people using them at conferences (while "listening" to talks :wink: )
 
J77 said:
Sony make very small Vaio's - I see a lot of people using them at conferences (while "listening" to talks :wink: )

They're are mighty expensive though, and the hardware it comes with is hardly worth it at all. Well, it's not worth it at all.
 
I recently bought a Sony Vaio. I got it because it wasn't that expensive, was small and had pretty good stats: Dual Core 2Ghz CPU, 1Gb RAM, 80Gb HD. It's very lightweight.
 
-Job- said:
That's a hell of a machine though. How much does it go for?

My guess would be around $15,000-$20,000 for a base configuration given its a Sun v215 (http://www.sun.com/servers/entry/v215/) in a "laptop" form-factor.
 
Last edited: