Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Seatbelt Poll

1. I use them now and would still use them if there were no law.

50 vote(s)
  2. I use them now but would not use them if there were no law.

1 vote(s)
  3. I do not use them now and would use them if there were no law.

1 vote(s)
  4. I do not use them now and would not if there were no law.

1 vote(s)
  1. May 31, 2007 #1
    If there were no law requiring the use of seatbelts, would you choose not to wear one?

I'm questioning the effectiveness of the seat belt law. I think that someone who is irresponsible enough to not wear a seat belt is also irresponsible enough to ignore the law requiring that they do. While repealing the law requiring the use of seat belts to be used in motor vehicles won't increase the proper use of seat belts, I'm skeptical that there will be much decrease in their use either. I think it's more a matter of good (or not so good) sense.

What do you think? What do you believe would be the result of repealing the seat belt law?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2007 #2
    :rofl::rofl:I was just getting ready to post a poll just like this!

edited:I find the third option very amusing:tongue:
  4. May 31, 2007 #3
    Yes, first vote. I use seatbelts all the time no matter what. Even if the law got repealed in CT I would still use them. It seems foolish not to.
  5. May 31, 2007 #4
    ARRRGH! How did you beat me?! I just voted and there were no votes as soon as i started typing!!!
  6. May 31, 2007 #5
    Who on Earth would vote that !?
    One would have to be pretty silly to choose this.
  7. May 31, 2007 #6
    Hmm, I messed up the and/but order for the options that specify not using seat belts under the law. Hopefully it is still clear enough.
  8. May 31, 2007 #7
    I know, seems silly. I thought it would just make the list of options complete. You know if I didn't put it in there then someone would ask why. :rolleyes:

I don't know. Maybe there are some people who like to rebel against all authority.
  9. May 31, 2007 #8
    At least as of now everyone uses them :biggrin:. 7 for 7!
  10. May 31, 2007 #9
    I use a seat belt most of the time. But the law does cause me use it more than I would otherwise.
  11. May 31, 2007 #10

Staff: Mentor

Apparently members here are smarter than people in New Hampshire that have no seat belt law and have the lowest percent of seat belt users in the nation and where 77% of fatalities are non-seat belt users.

I started wearing a seat belt when they became law, then after learning how important they are to my safety and that of my passengers, I would continue to wear them. I'm glad that a law made me aware enough to wear one.

A question missing from your poll is "Did you start wearing seatbelts because it was a law?"
  12. May 31, 2007 #11
    Personally when I drive a car (it does happen :wink:) I require everybody to put the seatbelt on. And I do not even drink one glass of alchool. And I respect speed limits. About speed limits, this is the main point of argument with drunk passengers by the way :tongue2:

So overall, when I compare to the average person going out of the might club, yes, I am not in the center of the bell curve. I still find amazing that cops here will let you go if you seem to be fine, that is for instance if you can walk straight. Cops in France will not hesitate if they found somebody they know have drunk more than one glass.
  13. May 31, 2007 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wore them before it was a law and before the CHP could pull you over for not wearing one. Of course, when they passed the SB law in Ca, they promised that they would never make it an offense that could get you stopped by the police. So much for that one. :rolleyes:
  14. May 31, 2007 #13

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I started using them because I had to wear them while my dad was teaching me to drive.

Which in a way, was kind of ironic. I'm not sure my dad wore a seatbelt when we were small kids (or if our car even had seatbelts), but us kids were free to roam about the car, standing behing the front seat pestering the parents or hanging out the back window. It wasn't until we were a little bit older and had a station wagon with the fold up seats in the rear that us kids started wearing seatbelts.
  15. May 31, 2007 #14
    I've used seatbelts ever since I could drive, and they were not mandatory at that time. I was simply intelligent enough to see that wearing it made sense.
  16. May 31, 2007 #15

Gold Member

Seat belts as an option on some cars came out a couple of years before I started driving. I made my dad take our car to the shop and have them installed.
    I've occassionally been forced by circumstance to travel as a passenger without access to one, but definitely not outside of our town with its 50kph speed limit. Even then, I was very uncomfortable.
  17. May 31, 2007 #16
    Since the law already exists I'm more concerned with what people would do if there were no seat belt law. Though it might be interesting to know how effective the law was when it was made. It might be useful in determining what would happen if it were repealed. Good point.

I don't suppose that polls can be changed after the voting starts? That and/but thing is driving me crazy. Would it be helpful if someone posted a poll about how peoples seat belt habits were changed by the introduction of the law?
  18. May 31, 2007 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This has happened to me a few times and I feel naked as a jaybird without one.
  19. May 31, 2007 #18
    In Sweden, there is a fine for being caught. A person who gets this fine will probably not do it at the same frequency as before. It also brings government revenue. It has been pretty effective as far as Sweden is concerned.
  20. May 31, 2007 #19

Staff: Mentor

I always wear a seatbelt (and require that eveybody in my vehicle does as well), and I always wear a helmet whenever riding anything with two wheels (and require that my kids and their guests at our house do the same). It's just the smart thing to do, IMO.
  21. May 31, 2007 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is a no brainer: If you have an accident without wearing one, your insurance is null and void. No need for a law here. Or, if you choose not to wear one, your rates go up.

But more than anything, a little public education goes a long way.
    Last edited: May 31, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?