Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second order differential equation

1. Nov 2, 2009 #1
    Hi,

I have a second order differential equation but I do not know how to solve it.

[tex]\frac{d^2Q}{dn^2}[/tex][tex]\left -A(B-n\right)\frac{dQ}{dn}+ [/tex] [tex]\left(A + \frac{C}{n}\right)Q = 0[/tex]

Appreciate if anyone could help me on this.

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Ode

Probably you must solve with an infinite series. Maple gives a solution in terms of HeunB functions which are computed as a power series around the origin.

4. Nov 3, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since that is a linear equation with constant coefficients, I see no reason to resort to power series. The characteristic equation is the quadratic
    [tex]r^2- A(B-n)r+ A+ \frac{C}{n}= 0[/tex]

Solve that with the quadratic formula:
    [tex]r= \frac{A(B-n)\pm\sqrt{A^2(B-n)^2- 4A- 4\frac{C}{n}}}{2}[/itex]

5. Nov 3, 2009 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

??? The independent variable is n. Bad notation admittedly, but not constant coefficient.

6. Nov 4, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Ah- I missed that. Thanks.

7. Nov 6, 2009 #6

The solution given by maple is not very helpful... I found it useful to make the following standard transformation, to get rid of the first derivative (I have changed the independent variable's name to x):
    [tex]Q(x)=exp(-A(x-B)^{2}/4)y(x)[/tex]
    By doing that, the resulting equation is
    [tex]y''(x)+[C/x+A/2-A^{2}(x-B)^{2}/4]y(x)=0[/tex]
    So the full solution consists of a gaussian like envelope multiplying a carrier function with what we can consider a spatial dependent frequency (not so, as it turns negative at some point, and the wave becomes evanescent). Close to x=0, the equation:
    [tex]y''(x)+y(x)C/x=0 [/tex]
    Has
    [tex]y=C_{1}\sqrt{2}J_{1}(2\sqrt{Cx})[/tex]
    as solution, which goes as
    [tex]y\approx x^{1/4}Cos(2\sqrt{Cx}-3\pi/4)[/tex]
    as x increases. However, we know that the frequency can't increase indefinitely, because there is a turning point when the coefficient in front of y(x) approaches 0. The solution around that point can be expressed locally in terms of Airy functions (that is, it matches oscillation with pure decay). The full solution then looks like in the attached figure
    solution.png
    I am sure there is a nicer solution... but I don't find a simple one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook