Second Order Equation - Change of variables

In summary, the conversation discusses a second order ODE in the unknown function $$y(t)$$ with positive constants $$a, b, c, d$$ and a specific ratio between them. The long term solution is a linear function, but there is interesting transient behavior depending on the boundary conditions. The speaker is looking for techniques to make the equation more amenable for analytic investigations. There was initially confusion about the equation due to a mistake in writing it down.
muzialis
Hello there,

I am facing the second order ODE in the unknown function $$y(t)$$
$$ \ddot{y} = a \dot{y} y - b \dot{l} l - c\dot{l} + d$$ $$a, b, c, d$$ positive constants, such that $$ \frac{a}{b} = \frac{d}{c}$$

I would like to understand more about it before relying on numerical methods.

So far, I have only determined that the long term solution as $$t \to 0$$ is a linear function, $$y(t) = \frac{a}{b}t$$.
If the boundary condition on $$\dot{y}$$ is zero, I get interesting transient behaviour. If the boundary condition on $$\dot{y}$$ equals $$ \frac{a}{b}$$ i get, as expected, a linear solution, which though starts getting very wiggly and wildly oscillating (stiff equation?).

Is there some change of variable, some tecnique, some trick I could use to reduce my equation in a form friendlier for analytic investigations?

Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
what is l in the ode for y(t)? Is it a second dependent variable as in l(t)

I made a mistake in writing the equation down, sorrry for the confusion created.

The ODE in the unknown $$y(t)$$ looks like

$$\ddot{y}= a \dot{y} t - b y \dot{y} -c \dot{y} + d$$
with $$ \frac{a}{b} = \frac{d}{c}$$

(the costants ratios allow the linear solution $$y (t) = \frac {a}{b} t$$, B.C. allowing)

Thanks

1. What is a second order equation?

A second order equation is a mathematical equation that contains a variable raised to the second power (x^2) as its highest exponent.

2. What is the purpose of change of variables in a second order equation?

The purpose of change of variables in a second order equation is to transform the equation into a simpler form, making it easier to solve and understand. This is done by substituting a new variable for the original variable in the equation.

3. How do you perform a change of variables in a second order equation?

To perform a change of variables in a second order equation, first choose a new variable and express it in terms of the original variable. Then, substitute the new variable into the original equation and simplify. Finally, solve for the original variable using the new variable.

4. What are some common examples of change of variables in a second order equation?

Some common examples of change of variables in a second order equation include substituting x^2 for u, or x+1 for t. Other examples may involve trigonometric functions, such as sin(x) or cos(x).

5. Why is change of variables useful in solving second order equations?

Change of variables is useful in solving second order equations because it can help reduce the complexity of the equation and make it easier to manipulate and solve. It can also reveal patterns and relationships within the equation that may not have been apparent before the change of variables was applied.