See Asteroid Florence Tonight in Frankfurt Germany

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter lifeonmercury
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Asteroid
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
lifeonmercury
Messages
137
Reaction score
26
I live in Frankfurt, Germany and want to see this asteroid tonight. I have a set of decent binoculars. When and where should I look?
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
https://www.space.com/38000-asteroid-florence-earth-flyby-visible-in-telescopes.html
http://www.newsweek.com/biggest-asteroid-nasa-records-flyby-earth-657444

or

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/press-releases/view-close-flyby-of-asteroid-florence/
During its visit, Florence will be traveling roughly south to north, crossing through the constellations Capricornus, Aquarius, Delphinus, Vulpecula, and Cygnus. An especially good opportunity occurs at about 8 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time on Saturday evening, September 2nd, when the asteroid crosses the quartet of 4th-magnitude stars that mark the head of Delphinus, the Dolphin. It will be gliding northward by a little less than the full Moon's diameter each hour, motion that should be obvious by watching the asteroid's starlike pinpoint through a telescope for just a few minutes.