Does a heavier person need to sit closer to the fulcrum on a seesaw?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lula Belle
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Fulcrum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 5K views
Lula Belle
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
If a person weighing 100 lbs is on a see saw with someone weighing 50 lbs, does the heavier person need to be closer to the fulcrum so that the see saw will balance?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I am so sorry to have asked such a stupid question. I have a medical condition that prevents me from figuring things out as well as I once did. Please forgive me.
 
no, a lobotomy doesn't help with Multiple Sclerosis.
 
Yes. The fat guy needs to sit closer.

Yes, the fat guy would have to sit closer to the fulcrum. If he weighs twice as much as the anorexic guy, he would have to sit twice as far away from the fulcrum as the fat guy. Therefore, the force of the skinny guy and the fat guy are balanced and they don't drop. Amazing. *happyface*