Seeking advice on continuation of degree and other options

In summary, the speaker has completed their second year in the physics program at their university, but received a C in both Classical Mechanics and Mathematical Physics classes. They are considering dropping out of the field and switching to a Physical Science degree. They are also worried about the impact of these grades on graduate school opportunities and potential job opportunities with a B.S in physics or physical science. Another semester with poor grades may lead them to reconsider their career path.
modestmoose
So I just completed my second year in the physics program at my university. Unfortunately, I received a C in both my Classical Mechanics and Mathematical Physics class, although I did get an A in my computational physics class. With a semester of foreign language, intermediate lab, quantum, and mechanics 2 coming up, I'm beginning to think I may not have the capacity to handle this.

I'm curious if these poor grades in important classes are significant enough to drop out of this field. Also, my school offers a 'Physical Science' degree, which essentially incorporates all the physics classes I've taken thus far, as well as a few geology, biology, and chemistry classes. I'm curious if anyone has any insights into how many doors I'm closing switching from physics to physical science. Will this degree provide me any opportunity for grad school? Any ideas what job opportunities are available with only a B.S in physics or physical science?

Physics news on Phys.org
Two C's aren't going to kill you, but they aren't good either. What's worrisome is that you probably didn't master the material in Classical Mechanics at all. I say give it one more semester. If you get another C, then it's really time to worry, in my opinion.

1. Can I take a break from my degree and come back to it later?

Yes, most universities have policies that allow students to take a leave of absence for personal or academic reasons. However, it is important to check with your specific institution to understand the process and any potential consequences.

2. How long do I have to complete my degree?

The length of time to complete a degree varies depending on the program and university. Typically, undergraduate degrees take 4 years, while graduate degrees can take 1-2 years. Some universities may have a maximum time limit for degree completion, so it is important to check with your academic advisor.

3. Can I switch to a different degree program?

Yes, it is possible to switch to a different degree program, but it may require additional coursework and time. It is important to speak with an academic advisor to understand the process and any potential impact on your graduation timeline.

4. What other options do I have besides completing my degree?

There are several options for individuals who are considering not completing their degree. These include taking a break, transferring to a different institution, pursuing a different career path, or seeking professional certifications. It is important to carefully consider your options and speak with a career advisor for guidance.

5. How will not completing my degree affect my future job prospects?

It is important to remember that not completing a degree does not mean the end of your career. There are many successful individuals who do not hold a degree. However, not having a degree may limit your job opportunities in certain fields and may require you to gain relevant work experience or pursue additional education or certifications.