Seeking help with Collision physics problem

In summary, after a collision between two masses, m1 = 0.7 kg and m2 = 2.2 kg, with initial velocities of v1i = 2.6 m/s and v2i = 4.5 m/s respectively, the two masses stick together and move in a direction that makes an angle, q, with the x-axis. The angle, q, can be found by using the equation tan(q) = Py/Px, where Py and Px are the y- and x-components of momentum, respectively. This equation is derived from the fact that the momentum is conserved before and after the collision.
Physicshelper
Mass m1 = 0.7 kg moves with constant velocity v1i = 2.6 m/s along the x-axis and collides with mass m2 = 2.2 kg, which moves with velocity v2i = 4.5 m/s, as sketched below. After the collision, m1 and m2 stick together. Find the angle, q, between the x-axis and the direction of motion of the two masses after the collision. (Answer in degrees.)

Not sure how to go about answering this, if someone could show me how to answer it fully it would be most helpful. Thanks

Attachments

• showme.pl.gif
    showme.pl.gif
    1.6 KB · Views: 538
Physics news on Phys.org

Physicshelper said:
Mass m1 = 0.7 kg moves with constant velocity v1i = 2.6 m/s along the x-axis and collides with mass m2 = 2.2 kg, which moves with velocity v2i = 4.5 m/s, as sketched below. After the collision, m1 and m2 stick together. Find the angle, q, between the x-axis and the direction of motion of the two masses after the collision. (Answer in degrees.)

Not sure how to go about answering this, if someone could show me how to answer it fully it would be most helpful. Thanks

Well... "The x-component (Px) and y-component (Py) of the momentum are the same after the collision as before it; [therefore,] tan(q)=Py/Px; remember that momentum is (mass)*(velocity)" (UIUC Physics Website).

Hope this helps.

1. What is collision physics?

Collision physics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of interactions between two or more objects, and how those interactions affect the motion of the objects involved.

2. How do I solve a collision physics problem?

The first step in solving a collision physics problem is to identify the type of collision (elastic or inelastic) and gather all relevant information such as masses, velocities, and angles. Then, you can use conservation of momentum and energy principles to set up equations and solve for the unknown variables.

3. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved, meaning that the total momentum and kinetic energy of the system before and after the collision are the same. In an inelastic collision, only momentum is conserved, but kinetic energy is not, as some energy is lost to other forms such as heat or sound.

4. How does the coefficient of restitution affect a collision?

The coefficient of restitution, represented by the symbol e, is a measure of the elasticity of a collision. It is defined as the ratio of the relative velocity of separation to the relative velocity of approach. In an elastic collision, e is equal to 1, while in an inelastic collision, e is less than 1. The closer e is to 1, the more elastic the collision is, meaning there is less energy lost during the collision.

5. What are some real-life applications of collision physics?

Collision physics has many applications in different fields, such as engineering, sports, and transportation. Some examples include designing car safety features to reduce the impact of collisions, analyzing the effects of collisions in sports like football or billiards, and understanding the formation of craters on planets due to collisions with meteoroids.