Seeking inspiration for interesting unfolding furniture

  • Topic: Misc. 
  • Thread starter Thread starter some bloke
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Interesting
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
some bloke
Messages
290
Reaction score
103
Hello all,

I have recently moved house, and it's something of a downsize. as a result, we are struggling to fit everything in that we have been accustomed to having.

I am embracing this downsize as a chance to throw some ideas around for space-saving furniture etc., as a bit of practice as I would like to get onto building a campervan which has as many fancy fold-out and fold-away bits and pieces as possible.

The first challenge will be a fold-out chair which I would like to emerge from under my desk, preferably on an arm, rather than on legs. I realize that it would be much easier to just buy a chair which folds down and wheels underneath, but I'm aiming for aesthetics as well as practicality. At the moment, my big, comfy chair just doesn't fit in the room, but the desk fits perfectly in the gap under the stairs. As it's a leather topped pedestal desk, I thought that a seat which unfolds from underneath would look exceptionally cool.

Future ideas include:
a table which unfolds from our sofa (it's a big sofa, lots of space in the arms and underneath, and it was only £35 in a charity shop so low risk!), thinking of it sliding out like a drawer from underneath and then raising up to form a table.
a crafting shed for various disciplines, including sewing, leatherwork, candle making, painting, and anything else she wants to try!

I'm looking for interesting designs more than purely functional ones, so I'm really interested in clever lever systems for something to fold out of something else. has anyone done any research on this front which they can share with me?

I'll be sure to share the project as it progresses on here!

Cheers for any help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Look to boat and yacht designs. Multiple uses of the same volume are highly valued on boats, so there are many ingenious designs.

Here is a blog post from my own blog. http://dickandlibby.blogspot.com/2010/01/cabin-arrangements.html
It focuses on a folding table, that has 3 positions. It takes only 10 seconds to put it down and 3 seconds to fold it up. It can be a a full table or a half table. The benches on either side of the table are seating and sleeping spaces. The shelf above the bench on the starboard side pulls out to make a double bled. The enclosure to hold the table up provides storage such as for dinnerware. We have hosted up to 11 people for dinner. Experienced yacht designer Bill Crealock was the designer.

My wife and I scaled down from a house+shed+garage to a sailboat with 300 ft2, about 60 m3 of living space. We were comfortable in that for 12 years.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman
Here are some Images and Videos from a Google search on Innovative Folding Furniture:

https://www.google.com/search?q=innovative+folding+furniture&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

http://www.kickvick.com/space-saving-creative-furniture/

upload_2019-3-6_9-43-33.png
 
Attachments
  • upload_2019-3-6_9-43-33.png
    upload_2019-3-6_9-43-33.png
    146.3 KB · Views: 638