Seismic Ground Response Parameters

In summary, the frequency of the ground's waves decreases as the thickness of the soil increases. This is due to the higher amplification in less dense/cohesive soils.
HarryKoh
⚠ this thread is closed ⚠
Hey guys, recently I have do some self-study on the ground response parameters on cohesive and cohesionless soil.. I made some deduction but I cannot confirm if it is correct or not, thus needing the help from the PF community. The deduction is as follows;

I need explanation for the occurrence of this phenomena..
(1) As the thickness of the soil increases, the frequency will decrease. Why?
(2) Amplification is higher in less dense/cohesive soil (e.g clay) than denser soil thus making cohesive soil to have a lower shear wave velocity, Vs. Why?
(3) As thickness of the soil increases, the shear wave velocity will also increase. Why?
(4) How does grain size affects the shear wave velocity?
(5) How does density affect the shear wave velocity?
(6) From the image, we can see that sand produce a steady amplification, and that amplification on clay is getting bigger and bigger..Why?

Thanks for your help! If any statement is wrong above, please do let me know, thanks! :D

Attachments

• 20160406_170621.jpg
    20160406_170621.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 401
Engineering news on Phys.org
HarryKoh said:
Hey guys, recently I have do some self-study on the ground response parameters on cohesive and cohesionless soil.. I made some deduction but I cannot confirm if it is correct or not, thus needing the help from the PF community. The deduction is as follows;

I need explanation for the occurrence of this phenomena..
(1) As the thickness of the soil increases, the frequency will decrease. Why?
(2) Amplification is higher in less dense/cohesive soil (e.g clay) than denser soil thus making cohesive soil to have a lower shear wave velocity, Vs. Why?
(3) As thickness of the soil increases, the shear wave velocity will also increase. Why?
(4) How does grain size affects the shear wave velocity?
(5) How does density affect the shear wave velocity?
(6) From the image, we can see that sand produce a steady amplification, and that amplification on clay is getting bigger and bigger..Why?

Thanks for your help! If any statement is wrong above, please do let me know, thanks! :D
Hello, let me start by saying I am not a soil guy, but have done some seismic work.
On number (1) are you talking about the aggregate density of the soil?
Also sound waves in mediums attenuate not amplify.
From what I have seen, all soil types have a frequency that they will go plastic.
I have heard this called the modulus of elasticity, and I think is defined by Young's modulus.
http://www.geotechdata.info/parameter/soil-young%27s-modulus.html
Vibroseis trucks generally sweep from 0 to about 110 hz,
I had to find a video with the camera on a tripod to show you what I am talking about.

At about the 38 second mark they pass the frequency where the greatest energy passes
in that weathering layer. At that point the ground is going plastic under the tripod, so the tripod vibrates.
Every combination of soil will have it's own frequency, but they all fall into that band.
I understand that the attenuation above 110 hz in most soil types is greater than 3 db per octave.
Within the very limited range of frequencies, many of the standard wave equations apply,
except that "c" is the speed of sound in that medium.
I hope this helps some!

Homework-type exercise, requiring more member input than shown in opening post.

➖ Thread closed ➖

What is the definition of seismic ground response parameters?

Seismic ground response parameters refer to the characteristics of the ground that affect the amplification and attenuation of seismic waves during an earthquake. These parameters include the soil type, soil properties, and the topography of the site.

How are seismic ground response parameters measured?

Seismic ground response parameters can be measured through various methods, including laboratory testing, field testing, and numerical modeling. These measurements provide data on the dynamic properties of the soil, such as shear wave velocity, damping ratio, and site amplification.

Why are seismic ground response parameters important?

Seismic ground response parameters are important because they directly influence the ground shaking and structural response during an earthquake. Understanding these parameters is crucial for designing earthquake-resistant structures and assessing the seismic hazard of a particular site.

What factors affect seismic ground response parameters?

Several factors can affect seismic ground response parameters, including the type of earthquake, the magnitude and frequency content of the seismic waves, and the geological and geotechnical characteristics of the site. Other factors such as topography, soil layering, and water content can also impact these parameters.

How do seismic ground response parameters vary from one location to another?

Seismic ground response parameters can vary significantly from one location to another, even within a small geographical area. This is due to the variability of soil and rock properties, which can differ based on factors such as geological history, depositional environment, and past seismic activity.