Select a product or system and create a design brief

• Thread starter leejohnson222
  • Start date
leejohnson222
I have to select a product or system and create a design brief,

i am not sure what would be suitable ? i work as an electrician so it would be good to discuss something i have good knowledge on.

Does this mean such things as a Break glass fire alarm point, Lighting Control Module, or Mag lock door with swipe access ?

once i have my product or system i think i can work through this, but i need something that is not going give me problems and end up being extremely complicated

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this for schoolwork? What is the context?

Likes leejohnson222
I’m also not sure of the aim, but how about something I’ve recently done, which is speccing a VFD control system for a milling machine?

Some design criteria:
FWD/STOP/REVERSE in one switch
Speed control (what range?)
RPM meter
E-stop
Power and fault indicators.
Braking, to halt the spindle within 10 seconds as per regs. Easier on a mill - mine stops in about 2.

VFD to be mounted in an enclosure, to avoid exposed single-insulated wiring.
VFD also requires being set up to the motor base speed, pole number, etc.
My speed range is 5-100Hz, which is pushing the design of the motor a bit. For a commercial machine I’d consider an auxiliary cooling fan.

All of the above, except the separate speed indicator, can be rigged into the inputs and outputs of the VFD, including the fan, via a relay. All to be enclosed in one box near to hand, when using the machine.

ok i kind of see what you mean, yes this is for an assignment and im stuck on what item or system to select that i can then create a design brief

berkeman said:
Is this for schoolwork? What is the context?
yes it an assignement

leejohnson222 said:
yes it an assignement
Okay, thanks. I'll move your thread to the schoolwork forums for you now.

Is there a written assignment that you can share? It would help us to see the full detail and context of the assignment. What class is this for, and what year?

I don't know what your experience is, but a general comment I have is that it is always easier to plan and design something that you have already successfully completed. ;-)

Likes Tom.G
yes i understand, i could look at a room i have converted from standard lighting to LED with LCM control and PIR switching.

the question is
You work in the design department of a large company and you have been given the task of working on a design project for a new product. You must develop a design of a component or system and create a brief, a specification, a comparison of your brief to industry standard and look at different planning techniques that could be used during design and note advantages and disadvantages.
The focus can be a system, Tool, or device.

Is there any free lighting design software for mac that can also include emergency lighting design ?