Selecting Anode & Cathode for Cu2(SO4) & Fe(SO4) Flow Battery

In summary, the graduate student is trying to develop a flow battery based on aqueous solutions of Cu2(SO4) and Fe(SO4). However, they are not sure why they were given Cu2(SO4) and Fe(SO4) as the anode and cathode, respectively, and they are still confused as to why they chose those ions instead of some other form of copper or iron. Additionally, they need to study general chemistry in order to solve other questions on the test.
IntegrateMe
A graduate student is trying to develop a flow battery based on aqueous solutions of 1 M Cu2(SO4) and Fe(SO4) (recall that the sulfate is divalent, e.g. (SO4)-2 and assume complete solubility).

Given a chart like this : CHART

How would I know that I need to select Copper (I) and Iron (II) as my anode and cathode, respectively?

I haven't taken chemistry before, so if anyone can explain in a concise way I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

You can't select Cu(I) nor Fe(II) as anode or cathode - anode and cathode have to be a conductive solid (or liquid), you can't make them out of a single ion.

Sorry, I'm not really sure how to respond. The answer for this question on my last exam was:

Anode: 2Cu+ + 2e- → 2Cu
Cathode: Fe → Fe2+ + 2e-
Overall: Cu2(SO4) → Fe(SO4) + 2Cu

I am just confused as to why the anode and cathode were selected to be those two, as opposed to some other form of copper or iron...

These are not cathode and anode material, but cathode and anode reactions. If you don't know the difference you have a lot to learn, that's not a thing I can help you in a single post.

Look for any general chemistry material describing the cells, redox reactions and reactivity series.

This is supposed to be a pretty easy question, are there any tricks you can offer that may help me solve other ones (i.e. the cathode is usually the reaction we flip and make the potential negative)? Also, I'm still confused as to why we chose Copper(I) and Iron(II) instead of some other form...

Cu(I) and Fe(II) are part of the two solutions that you are given, that is why you are using them. As for your anode and cathode, I believe you must choose so that your overall E° is negative, as this is an electrolytic cell and the E° is always negative in an electrolytic cell. At least that's what I remember. Anyone care to clarify? My chemistry is a little rusty.

1. What is the purpose of selecting anode and cathode for a Cu2(SO4) & Fe(SO4) flow battery?

The anode and cathode are crucial components of a flow battery as they are responsible for storing and releasing energy during the charging and discharging processes. The selection of suitable anode and cathode materials is essential for the efficiency and performance of the battery.

2. How do I choose the anode and cathode for my Cu2(SO4) & Fe(SO4) flow battery?

The anode and cathode materials should be selected based on their electrochemical properties, such as redox potential, chemical stability, and charge/discharge characteristics. Other factors to consider include cost, availability, and compatibility with the electrolyte used in the battery.

3. Can I use any anode and cathode materials for a Cu2(SO4) & Fe(SO4) flow battery?

No, not all materials are suitable for use as anode and cathode in a flow battery. The materials must have a high redox potential difference to facilitate energy conversion, and they should also be chemically stable in the electrolyte solution to avoid degradation over time.

4. What are some commonly used anode and cathode materials for Cu2(SO4) & Fe(SO4) flow batteries?

Some commonly used anode materials for flow batteries include graphite, carbon felt, and activated carbon, while commonly used cathode materials include vanadium, iron, and zinc. However, there are also other emerging materials being researched and developed for flow battery applications.

5. Can the anode and cathode be replaced or interchanged in a Cu2(SO4) & Fe(SO4) flow battery?

In most cases, the anode and cathode materials cannot be interchanged as they have different properties and may not be compatible with the electrolyte solution. However, some flow batteries are designed with interchangeable anode and cathode compartments, allowing for flexibility in material choices and easier maintenance.