Selecting Concentration for Grad School

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of switching from a physics major to a physics-related mathematics or engineering field for graduate school. The speaker wonders about the difficulty of making such a switch and if it is possible to apply for these fields with a physics degree. They also mention the competitiveness of physics graduate school and ask how difficult it would be to get into a physics-related mathematics or engineering program compared to a physics program. The expert suggests that while in the past this switch may have been less of a concern during admissions, it may now play a role due to larger applicant pools. They advise taking upper-level courses in the desired field(s) to increase chances of admission.
kitaewolf
I am a prospective physics student currently attending a 4-year university. As I began to work in a lab in preparation for graduate school, I have been hearing cases of people with physics degree switch their graduate major/concentration and go to physics-related mathematics or engineering field.
So my question is, how hard is it to make such a switch, and can I applied for such physics-related mathematics or engineering fields with physics degree? Finally, I understand that admission to physics graduate school is very competitive. So I was wondering how hard would it be to get into these physics-related mathematics or engineering fields compared to physics grad program?

Physics news on Phys.org
Most engineering colleges welcome physics degree holders into their graduate programs.

I quote myself from a related thread:
I think it "used to be less of a concern in a "related field" during graduate admissions... but with possibly larger applicant pools in the present poor economy, it might play a role if the graduate program doesn't feel you can pass qualifying exams (if the institution has them) and core coursework (and possibly comprehensive exams) without additional remedial courses in the field."

With that in mind, try to take upper-level overlap courses as electives in the field(s) of interest.

1. What factors should I consider when selecting a concentration for grad school?

When choosing a concentration for grad school, there are several important factors to consider. These include your interests and career goals, the job market for your chosen field, the reputation and resources of the program, and the coursework and research opportunities available in the concentration.

2. How do I determine which concentration is the best fit for me?

To determine the best fit for your grad school concentration, it's important to do thorough research and self-reflection. Consider your strengths, interests, and long-term career goals. Look into the specific courses and research opportunities offered in each concentration, and talk to current students and professors to get a better understanding of the program.

3. Should I choose a concentration that aligns with my undergraduate degree?

While it can be beneficial to have a background in the same field as your grad school concentration, it is not always necessary. Many programs offer the opportunity to take prerequisite courses to prepare for the concentration, and having a diverse educational background can also be valuable in certain fields.

4. Can I change my concentration once I have already started grad school?

In most cases, it is possible to change your concentration once you have started grad school. However, this may require additional coursework and could potentially extend your time in the program. It's important to carefully consider and research your options before making a decision.

5. How important is the reputation of the concentration or program?

The reputation of a concentration or program can be important, as it can impact job opportunities and networking connections after graduation. However, it is not the only factor to consider when selecting a concentration. It's important to also consider the curriculum, resources, and fit for your individual goals and interests.