Selecting the proper motor to spin a brush

In summary, the conversation is about selecting the proper motor to spin a 12 inch brush at 200 RPM with 5 pounds of horizontal force on a window. The issue is determining the necessary torque for the motor and predicting its acceleration using calculations and the motor's speed-torque curve. The speaker has selected a potential motor and is considering using a controller to slowly increase the speed and assume no angular acceleration. They are seeking help with their project and may use calculus to predict the time it takes to reach a desired speed.
pdfmech
Hello I need to select the proper motor to spin a 12 inch brush that cleans a window. There is about 5 pound of horizontal force on the window and the brush will spin at 200 rpm . My issue in finding what torque needs to be supplied by the motor. When a DC motor is turned on it almost immediately achieves the velocity corresponding to a certain voltage. How can I determine this acceleration. I selected a motor that I feel would be more than enough http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1104" but I need to show calculations for my project. Maybe I will use a controller to slowly increase the speed and then assume no angular acceleration. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
torque = rotational inertia * angular acceleration.

With some maths, perhaps calculus, and the speed-torque curve of the motor (200 RPM free-run, 170 oz-in stall.), you can predict the time taken to reach 190RPM, or something else close enough.

1. How do I determine the power requirements for the motor?

The power requirement for a motor to spin a brush is dependent on several factors, including the size and weight of the brush, the speed at which it needs to spin, and the resistance of the surface it will be brushing against. Generally, a higher power motor will be needed for larger and heavier brushes, as well as if a faster speed is required or if the surface being brushed is more resistant.

2. What type of motor is best for spinning a brush?

The type of motor best suited for spinning a brush will depend on the specific application. Some common types of motors used for this purpose include DC motors, stepper motors, and servo motors. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages, so it is important to carefully consider the requirements of your project before selecting a motor.

3. How do I determine the torque needed for the motor?

The amount of torque required for a motor to spin a brush will depend on the size and weight of the brush, as well as the resistance of the surface being brushed. To determine the torque needed, you can calculate the force needed to rotate the brush and then choose a motor that can provide that amount of torque.

4. Can I use a motor with variable speed control for spinning a brush?

Yes, a motor with variable speed control can be used for spinning a brush. This can be useful for adjusting the speed of the brush depending on the specific application. However, it is important to ensure that the motor is powerful enough to handle the maximum speed needed for your project.

5. How do I know if the motor is compatible with the brush?

The best way to determine if a motor is compatible with a brush is to look at the specifications of both the motor and the brush. Make sure that the motor can provide enough power and torque to spin the brush, and also check for any compatibility issues such as the shaft size and mounting options. It is also recommended to consult with a motor expert or manufacturer for further guidance.