1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Self Taught Abstract Mathematics Course?

1. Jun 18, 2012 #1
    Self Taught Abstract Mathematics Course??

Good evening everyone! I would like to know if anyone has any recommendations for a self-teaching course in abstract mathematics. I have attempted to teach myself abstract algebra and linear algebra but for some reason I cannot find the discipline to stick with the topic. I find this strange because I have taught myself other subjects related to fluid mechanics and thermodynamics with little difficulty.

In general, I find that I have pretty good intuition for understanding mathematical concepts, but I cannot motivate myself to sit down and do the proofs rigorously; I tend get bored. Perhaps there is a strategy or a mindset for learning mathematics outside the classroom which I have yet to learn.

Thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2012 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. Jun 18, 2012 #3
    Re: Self Taught Abstract Mathematics Course??

Hi Aero51,

I am currently trying to teach myself abstract algebra over the Summer. I rented Herstein's textbook from the library and have been following this syllabus: http://www.metu.edu.tr/~pasemra/math367.html [Broken]

At the bottom of the page, there are suggested problems from every chapter covered in the course. I have toyed with the idea of creating a blog with each entry being a "Homework assignment" complete with solutions to the problems given in the webpage.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook