Semi-classical argument for stimulated emission?

In summary: Should have checked before I posted, I think this has been brought up in earlier threads...In summary, the concept of laser action requires the presence of stimulated emission in the laser medium. This is typically explained through semi-classical models using Einstein coefficients, but these explanations are often unsatisfying until a quantum mechanical approach is used. While there are intuitive explanations for stimulated absorption and spontaneous emission, there is not a similar explanation for stimulated emission without using quantum mechanics. This is because stimulated emission is inherently a quantum phenomenon. Some have proposed semi-classical models to build a better understanding of the concept, but these are not as readily available as those for stimulated absorption and spontaneous emission.
Michael Lazich
Laser action by definition requires the presence of stimulated emission in the laser medium. The typical way of treating this semi-classically is to introduce the Einstein coefficients, in essentially an ad hoc way, then derive the Einstein equations for the various level population transitions.

My issue is that the various arguments I've seen for explaining the presence of the stimulated emission term are rather unsatisfying, until you're actually able to show quantum mechanically what is going on.

That is, it's somewhat "intuitive" to discuss stimulated absorption (i.e., photon of proper energy is absorbed by atom causing an upward transition to a specific higher energy state), and spontaneous emission (fluourescence), but there doesn't seem to be a similar argument about stimulated emission short of the QM treatment.

Of course, stimulated emission *is* inherently QM, so there really isn't necessarily a non-QM argument or model for it; but I'm curious if others have thought of semi-classical models/explanations (than those available in, say, Siegman) that could help build a sense of "physical intuition" around the concept.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Should have checked before I posted, I think this has been brought up in earlier threads...

Not sure how to delete though; apologies for redundancy.

Michael Lazich said:
Laser action by definition requires the presence of stimulated emission in the laser medium. The typical way of treating this semi-classically is to introduce the Einstein coefficients, in essentially an ad hoc way, then derive the Einstein equations for the various level population transitions.

My issue is that the various arguments I've seen for explaining the presence of the stimulated emission term are rather unsatisfying, until you're actually able to show quantum mechanically what is going on.

That is, it's somewhat "intuitive" to discuss stimulated absorption (i.e., photon of proper energy is absorbed by atom causing an upward transition to a specific higher energy state), and spontaneous emission (fluourescence), but there doesn't seem to be a similar argument about stimulated emission short of the QM treatment.

Of course, stimulated emission *is* inherently QM, so there really isn't necessarily a non-QM argument or model for it; but I'm curious if others have thought of semi-classical models/explanations (than those available in, say, Siegman) that could help build a sense of "physical intuition" around the concept.

Thanks.

1. What is the "semi-classical argument" in the context of stimulated emission?

The semi-classical argument for stimulated emission is a theoretical explanation for the process of stimulated emission, which is the emission of a photon by an excited atom when it is struck by another photon of the same energy. This argument combines the classical concepts of electromagnetic radiation and atomic energy levels with the quantum mechanical concept of photon emission.

2. How does the semi-classical argument explain stimulated emission?

The semi-classical argument states that when an excited atom is struck by a photon of the same energy, it will be stimulated to emit a photon of the same energy, thus releasing its excess energy and returning to a lower energy state. This process is similar to the way a tuning fork vibrates when it is struck by a sound wave of the same frequency.

3. What is the role of the electromagnetic field in the semi-classical argument?

In the semi-classical argument, the electromagnetic field is responsible for providing the energy necessary for the stimulated emission process to occur. When a photon of the correct energy interacts with the excited atom, it transfers its energy to the atom, causing it to emit a photon of the same energy as the stimulating photon.

4. How does the semi-classical argument relate to laser technology?

The semi-classical argument is the basis for understanding how lasers work. In a laser, the atoms in the lasing material are excited by an external energy source, such as an electrical current or another laser, and then stimulated to emit photons of the same energy. These photons are then amplified and directed by mirrors and other optical components to produce a highly focused and coherent beam of light.

5. Are there any limitations to the semi-classical argument for stimulated emission?

While the semi-classical argument is a useful theoretical model for understanding stimulated emission and laser technology, it does not fully capture the complexity of the quantum mechanical processes involved. In particular, it does not take into account the effects of quantum fluctuations and the probabilistic nature of photon emission. Therefore, it should be used in conjunction with other theoretical models and experimental data for a more complete understanding of stimulated emission.