Spontaneous and stimulated emission in Planck's radiation law

In summary: The coefficients are determined by the equilibrium states of the two-level system, and these states are determined by the energy differences between the two levels.In summary, the spontaneous emission and stimulated emission fractions in Einstein's derivation of the Planck radiation law match Wien's distribution.
dbabic
Hello,

Einstein introduced stimulated emission (along with spontaneous emission and absorption) to derive Planck's radiation law using his A and B coefficients in his 1917 paper. My question is, is it possible to separate the Planck radiation spectrum into a fraction that is spontaneous emission and a fraction that is stimulated emission? Is this even a good question? I took a simple simple approach and got the attached graph. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Thank you...

Attachments

• Slika_657.jpg
    Slika_657.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 100
Physics news on Phys.org
How did you define the separation in these two contributions? It's not clear to me, how to make such a split from the standard derivation of the Planck spectrum from QED.

Einstein's derivation assumes that all the generated EM radiation (spontaneous + stimulated) must be balanced by what's absorbed:

$$A_{21} N_2 + B_{21} N_2 \rho _{EM} (\omega ) = B_{12} N_1 \rho _{EM} (\omega )$$

where the first term is spontaneous (SPE) and the second stimulated emission (STE) and on the right is absorption. I evaluate the portion of the left side that is due to spontaneous emission. If you just divide the first term on the left side with the entire left side you get that the portion due to spontaneous emission is equal to

SPE contribution = ##1 - \exp( -\hbar\omega/kT )##
STE contribution = ##\exp( -\hbar\omega/kT )##

Now, I simply take the radiation law and multiply it by the fractions shown above to get the curve for SPE and STE.

The interesting thing is that the fraction of stimulated emission coincides exactly with Wien's distribution, which is the starting point of Einstein's arguments in the 1917 paper .

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes vanhees71
Correction: the fraction of SPONTANEOUS emission coincides exactly with Wien's distribution.

@vanhees71 and @dbabic -- are you in agreement after the updates? We received a report that there may be confusion in this thread after some edits...

Thanks.

Likes jim mcnamara and Nugatory
Ok, let's do the derivation a la Einstein. It's a kinetic argument for the occupation numbers of a two-level system due to thermal radiation, i.e., the two-level system is supposed to be in thermal equilibrium at temperature ##T##. Let ##N_1## and ##N_2## be the occupation numbers of the lower and upper level with energy difference ##E_2-E_1=\hbar \omega##:
$$\dot{N}_1=A_{21} N_2+B_{21} N_2 I-B_{12} N_1 I$$
$$\dot{N}_2=-A_{21} N_2-B_{21}N_2+B_{12} N_1 \rho=-\dot{N}_1.$$
Here ##A_{21}## is the transition rate for spontaneous emission, ##B_{21}## the rate for spontaneous emission, and ##B_{12}## for absorption, ##I## is the intensity (energy density) of the radiation.

In thermal equilibrium one has ##N_2/N_1=\exp[-\hbar \omega/(kT)]## and ##\dot{N}_1=\dot{N}_2=0##. From this one gets
$$(A_{21}+B_{21} I) \exp[-\hbar \omega/(kT)]=B_{12} I .$$
This gives
$$I=\frac{A_{21}}{B_{12} \exp[+\hbar \omega/(k T)]-B_{12}}.$$
On the other hand from equilibrium thermal QFT we can derive Planck's radiation Law
$$I = \frac{\hbar \omega^3}{\pi^2 c^3} \frac{1}{\exp[(\hbar \omega)/(k T)]-1}.$$
From this it follows
$$B_{12}=B_{21}, \quad \frac{A_{21}}{B_{12}}=\frac{\hbar \omega^3}{\pi^3 c^3}. \qquad (1)$$
So the spontaneous emission fraction is
$$\frac{A_{21} N_2}{B_{12} N_1 I}=\frac{\hbar \omega^3}{\pi^3 c^3}(1-\exp[-\hbar \omega/(k T)])$$
and of the induced emission
$$\frac{B_{21} I \exp[-\hbar \omega/(k T)]}{B_{12} I}=\exp[-\hbar \omega/(k T)].$$
So it's, of course, the induced emission part which coincides with Wien's radiation law.

The relations between the coefficients (1) can be directly derived from QFT too.

Likes dextercioby

1. What is the difference between spontaneous and stimulated emission?

Spontaneous emission is the process in which an excited atom or molecule spontaneously emits a photon without any external influence. Stimulated emission, on the other hand, occurs when an incoming photon stimulates an already excited atom or molecule to emit a second photon with the same energy, phase, and direction.

2. How does spontaneous and stimulated emission relate to Planck's radiation law?

Planck's radiation law describes the distribution of electromagnetic radiation emitted by a blackbody at a given temperature. This law takes into account both spontaneous and stimulated emission processes, as they are both involved in the emission of radiation by a blackbody.

3. Can you give an example of spontaneous and stimulated emission in everyday life?

An example of spontaneous emission is the glow of a firefly, where the excited molecules in the firefly's body spontaneously emit light. An example of stimulated emission is the functioning of a laser, where an incoming photon stimulates the emission of a second photon, resulting in a coherent beam of light.

4. How does stimulated emission contribute to the amplification of light in lasers?

In lasers, stimulated emission plays a crucial role in the amplification of light. When an excited atom or molecule is stimulated to emit a photon, it triggers a chain reaction of stimulated emissions, resulting in a large number of photons with the same energy, phase, and direction. This process leads to the amplification of light in a laser.

5. What are the practical applications of spontaneous and stimulated emission?

The principles of spontaneous and stimulated emission have various practical applications. They are used in lasers, LED lights, and fluorescent lights for generating light. They are also used in medical imaging techniques, such as MRI and PET scans, and in telecommunications for transmitting and receiving signals.