Semiconductor Electromagnetic Wave Interactions

In summary, the conversation is about gathering information on how semiconductors interact with electromagnetic radiation, specifically in terms of absorption, scattering, transmission, and reflection properties. The person is looking for good references on the topic and has a particular focus on the Debye Model and transmission and absorption coefficients of semi-insulating GaAs. They also mention wanting to understand the role of scattering, particularly with long wavelengths, in this process.
Septim
Greetings everyone,

I need information about how semiconductor interacts with electromagnetic radiation, the absorption, scattering, transmission and reflection properties of semiconductors. I also need to associate this information with free charges or bound charges. I would be grateful for your help on this topic because I was not able to find related sources on this matter. Especially good references on the topic would be of great help. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're asking a very broad question on a very large topic, and you've given no information about what your background or level of understanding of solid state physics is. You can have a look here: http://britneyspears.ac/lasers.htm or otherwise look for books at your university library.

Thanks for the reply. Yes you are right, I apologize for that. I am currently doing some research on propagation of THz waves through excited semiconductors but I have yet to take a course on semiconductors and my aim is to provide a qualitative treatment of the four processes I mentioned without going into detail. My focus is going to be on Debye Model,tranmission and absorption coefficient of semi-insulating GaAs. I know there are various types of scatterings
Mie Scattering, Rayleigh Scattering, Brillouin Scattering, and Raman Scattering. My instructor told me that scattering is not an process of importance in our case and I have yet to understand it.

Last edited:
Do you have any knowledge on how long wavelengths scatter from semiconductors? My instructor told me that they have negligible intensity but why so?

1. What is a semiconductor?

A semiconductor is a material that has properties between those of a conductor and an insulator. It is able to conduct electricity to a certain extent, but not as well as a conductor like copper or gold. Examples of semiconductors include silicon, germanium, and gallium arsenide.

2. How do semiconductors interact with electromagnetic waves?

Semiconductors interact with electromagnetic waves in several ways. They can absorb, reflect, and transmit electromagnetic waves depending on their properties and the wavelength of the wave. This interaction is used in various technologies such as solar cells, transistors, and LEDs.

3. What is the bandgap of a semiconductor?

The bandgap of a semiconductor is the energy difference between the valence band (the highest energy level occupied by electrons) and the conduction band (the lowest energy level that electrons can jump to). This determines the conductivity of the material and its ability to interact with electromagnetic waves.

4. How does the bandgap affect the absorption of electromagnetic waves?

The bandgap of a semiconductor determines the energy of the photons that can be absorbed by the material. If the energy of the photon is lower than the bandgap, it will not be absorbed. This is why different semiconductors are used for different wavelengths of light in technologies such as solar cells.

5. What is the difference between a direct and indirect bandgap semiconductor?

In a direct bandgap semiconductor, the minimum energy of the conduction band and the maximum energy of the valence band occur at the same point in the momentum space. This allows for efficient absorption of photons. In an indirect bandgap semiconductor, these points occur at different points in the momentum space, making absorption less efficient.