1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Semiconductor physics: Resistivity,mobility and concentration.

1. Apr 30, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If a sample of pure silicon at 300 Kelvin has a resistivity of 950Ωm, and if the electron-to-hole mobility ration is 3:1, with the electron mobility equal to 0.12m2V-1s-1, what are the intrinsic hole and electron concentrations?

2. Relevant equations

I know resistivity is equal to
    [itex]\frac{ρL}{A}[/itex]. But I dont think this is applicable. I cannot find any equations in books or on the internet connecting these properties (concentration, mobility and resistivity).

3. The attempt at a solution

Well considering the ratio of electron to hole mobility is 3:1, I presume that the hole mobility is 0.04m2V-1s-1 (ie. electron mobility divided by 3). After that, I'm completely lost!
    Any help would be appriciated! :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2013 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

You should be able to write the conductivity of the silicon (inverse of the resistivity) in terms of the concentration of carriers and their mobility. If you haven't learned this, Google it.

4. May 2, 2013 #3
    Can't believe I didn't think of that!
    Thanks a million.

Here's my answer if anyone wants it.

σ=[itex]\frac{1}{ρ}[/itex]

1.053x10-3 = q (nμn + pμp)
    Where:

q is the charge of an electron.
    μn is the mobility of electron. = 0.12
    And μp is the mobility of holes. = 0.04

To solve for concentrations (n and p),

Rearranging,

0.12n + 0.04p = 6.579x1015

N = P in intrinsic.

∴ 0.16n = 6.579x1015

& p = n = 4.118x1016

5. May 2, 2013 #4

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Looks good, I think you did it all correctly. However, there are no units on the answer. I always take off points for a number with no units.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted