1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Serge Lang's Linear Algebra - how is it?

1. Jan 31, 2009 #1
    Serge Lang's "Linear Algebra" - how is it?

I'm looking to buy a good linear algebra book. I've already had a course in it and would like to learn more. How is this book for self-study? If anyone has used this book for a course or otherwise, how did you like it?

Particularly: how good does Lang explain the representation of a linear transformation by a matrix? I seem to judge good linear algebra books by how well this is explained...
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2009 #2
    Re: Serge Lang's "Linear Algebra" - how is it?

His books in general are excellent i.e A first course in Calculus or Calculus of several veriable etc. The linear algebra one does not have solutions so not sure if thats what your looking for in terms of self study.
  4. Feb 19, 2009 #3
    Re: Serge Lang's "Linear Algebra" - how is it?

I remember reading that book long time ago. My impression was that it was well-written. But personally I think there are many other better options since you say you already had a course in it. (Hoffman-Kunze)

If you know your linear algebra well (really well) maybe Roman's "Advanced Linear Algebra" is a good choice. Although it is overkill for most of us.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?