Series Combo Of Capacitors, Smaller Than Single Capacitor

In summary: That's the "general case".In summary, the conversation discusses the statement that a series combination of capacitors must always be smaller than the smallest individual capacitor. The participants work through the steps of proving this statement, using equations and simplifications to show that the equivalent capacitance in a series circuit must be less than the smallest individual capacitance. They also discuss how this argument can be extended to circuits with more than two capacitors in series.
BOAS

Homework Statement

"A series combination of capacitors must always be smaller than the smallest individual capacitor."

This is the statement that I am trying to validate, but I am stuck.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I know that if you have a circuit that consists of a cell and a number of capacitors in parallel, the overall effect due to the 'inside' plates neutralising each other, is that of one capacitor with a large plate separation. This large plate separation is what causes the equivalent capacitance to be lower than the sum of it's parts, but I don't understand how I can show that this value must be smaller than that of the smallest capacitor in the circuit.

I can show that it is the case for specific examples, but not a general case.

Thanks for any help you can give,

Jacob.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps start by showing that 1/Ceq = 1/C1 + 1/C2 + 1/C3 etc

Have you obtained the formula for the equivalent capacitance of two capacitors in series? (You can always deal with more than two by combining two at a time).

CWatters said:
Perhaps start by showing that 1/Ceq = 1/C1 + 1/C2 + 1/C3 etc

Ok,

[itex]V = \frac{Q}{C}[/itex]

So the voltages on the individual capacitors is given by;

[itex]V_{1} = \frac{Q}{C_{1}}[/itex],

[itex]V_{2} = \frac{Q}{C_{2}}[/itex],

[itex]V_{3} = \frac{Q}{C_{3}}[/itex] etc...

The total voltage is [itex]V_{tot} = V_{1} + V_{2} + V_{3} + ...[/itex]

[itex]V = \frac{Q}{C_{eq}} = \frac{Q}{C_{1}} + \frac{Q}{C_{2}} + \frac{Q}{C_{3}} + ...[/itex]

Dividing through by [itex]Q[/itex] yields

[itex]\frac{1}{C_{eq}} = \frac{1}{C_{1}} + \frac{1}{C_{2}} + \frac{1}{C_{3}} + ...[/itex]

Okay, now using what you've done, write and simplify the equation for the equivalent capacitance of just two capacitors in series.

gneill said:
Okay, now using what you've done, write and simplify the equation for the equivalent capacitance of just two capacitors in series.

Okay,

[itex]\frac{1}{C_{eq}} = \frac{1}{C_{1}} + \frac{1}{C_{2}}[/itex]

[itex]C_{1}C_{2} = C_{eq}C_{2} + C_{eq}C_{1}[/itex]

[itex]C_{eq} = \frac{C_{1}C_{2}}{C_{1} + C_{2}}[/itex]

Excellent. Now does that last expression suggest anything to you about showing that ##C_{eq} < C_1## and ##C_{eq} < C_2##?

gneill said:
Excellent. Now does that last expression suggest anything to you about showing that ##C_{eq} < C_1## and ##C_{eq} < C_2##?

Not really...

What if I write the expression this way:
##C_{eq} = C_1 \frac{C_2}{C_2 + C_1}##

gneill said:

Ah ha!

##C_{eq} \propto C_{1}##

##C_{eq} = k C_{1}##

##k = \frac{C_{2}}{C_{2} + C_{1}}##

##C_{2} < C_{2} + C_{1}## (Capacitors can't have negative values)

Therefore ##k < 1##

and

##C_{eq} < C_{1}##

The same argument applies to ##C_{2}##

That makes a lot of sense to me, but is the argument general enough to apply to any number of capacitors?.

BOAS said:
That makes a lot of sense to me, but is the argument general enough to apply to any number of capacitors?.
See what you can do with what you have now and the comment I made in post #3.

gneill said:

For that, wouldn't it be necessary that C1+C2>1 ?

gneill said:
See what you can do with what you have now and the comment I made in post #3.

Ah, I can see where this is going. With three capacitors I can use my previous result to reduce it to an equivalent of two capacitors, and then repeat the argument.

Thanks for the help gneill!

siddharth23 said:
For that, wouldn't it be necessary that C1+C2>1 ?
Why? For any positive values of ##C_1## and ##C_2##, can ##C_2## ever be greater than ##C_2 + C_1##?

gneill said:
Why? For any positive values of ##C_1## and ##C_2##, can ##C_2## ever be greater than ##C_2 + C_1##?
@siddharth23: In addition to that, how would you compare capacitances to real numbers?

BOAS said:
I can show that it is the case for specific examples, but not a general case.
You have a capacitor, C, connected to a voltage source, V. Were you to add a second capacitor in series with C, some voltage will appear across that second capacitor, leaving less than V volts across C. Less voltage on C means there is less charge on C. Less common charge means the circuit's capacitance has been lowered, so must now be less than C.

1. What is a series combination of capacitors?

A series combination of capacitors is when multiple capacitors are connected end to end in a single loop, with the positive end of one capacitor connected to the negative end of the next. This creates a larger total capacitance and is commonly used in electronic circuits.

2. Why would someone use a series combination of capacitors instead of a single capacitor?

A series combination of capacitors allows for a larger total capacitance while using smaller individual capacitors. This can be beneficial in situations where space is limited or when a specific capacitance value is not readily available in a single capacitor.

3. How do you calculate the total capacitance of a series combination of capacitors?

To calculate the total capacitance of a series combination, you can use the formula 1/Ctotal = 1/C1 + 1/C2 + 1/C3 + ... + 1/Cn, where C1, C2, C3, etc. are the individual capacitances of each capacitor in the series. The total capacitance will always be smaller than the smallest individual capacitance in the series.

4. What happens to the voltage across each capacitor in a series combination?

In a series combination of capacitors, the voltage across each capacitor is the same. This is because the capacitors are connected in a single loop, so they all experience the same voltage drop.

5. Are there any downsides to using a series combination of capacitors?

One potential downside of using a series combination of capacitors is that if one capacitor fails or becomes damaged, the entire circuit may not function properly. Additionally, series combinations can create an overall higher capacitance, which may not be desirable in certain circuits.