Series: converges or diverges help

• Thread starter Slimsta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the series in the original problem diverges because the n-th term in the sum does not tend to 0.
Slimsta

Homework Statement

Determine whether the series [PLAIN]http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/69/44751948.jpg converges or diverges and find its sum S if it does converge.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

my textbook has lots of weird examples but none of them help me understand how to solve this one..
if i plug in 1 then 2 then 3... i get
ln(1.5) + ln(1) + ln (7/8) +...+ln((2n+1)/(3n-1))

so a = ln(1.5)
r = ?

then i use the formula: a / (a-r)
right? now how do i find r?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Slimsta said:

Homework Statement

Determine whether the series [PLAIN]http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/69/44751948.jpg converges or diverges and find its sum S if it does converge.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

my textbook has lots of weird examples but none of them help me understand how to solve this one..
if i plug in 1 then 2 then 3... i get
ln(1.5) + ln(1) + ln (7/8) +...+ln((2n+1)/(3n-1))

so a = ln(1.5)
r = ?

then i use the formula: a / (a-r)
right? now how do i find r?

What can you say about [itex]\frac{2n+1}{3n-1}[/itex] as [itex]n\to\infty[/itex]? And then about [itex]\ln\left(\frac{2n+1}{3n-1}\right)[/itex]? Now considering adding a bunch of terms that eventually behave like [itex]\ln\left(\frac{2n+1}{3n-1}\right)[/itex]

Last edited by a moderator:
worth checking what the nth term does for large n

rs1n said:
What can you say about [itex]\frac{2n+1}{3n-1}[/itex] as [itex]n\to\infty[/itex]? And then about [itex]\ln\left(\frac{2n+1}{3n-1}\right)[/itex]? Now considering adding a bunch of terms that eventually behave like [itex]\ln\left(\frac{2n+1}{3n-1}\right)[/itex]

[itex]\frac{2n+1}{3n-1}[/itex] as [itex]n\to\infty[/itex] will be 0
and for [itex]\ln\left(\frac{2n+1}{3n-1}\right)[/itex] it will be ln(0) which is impossible..

but if plugging numbers like 10, 100, 1000... into [itex]\ln\left(\frac{2n+1}{3n-1}\right)[/itex] the number becomes smaller and smaller all the way to -[itex]\infty[/itex]
so does it mean that the answer is 'Diverges'?

Slimsta said:
[itex]\frac{2n+1}{3n-1}[/itex] as [itex]n\to\infty[/itex] will be 0
and for [itex]\ln\left(\frac{2n+1}{3n-1}\right)[/itex] it will be ln(0) which is impossible..

but if plugging numbers like 10, 100, 1000... into [itex]\ln\left(\frac{2n+1}{3n-1}\right)[/itex] the number becomes smaller and smaller all the way to -[itex]\infty[/itex]
so does it mean that the answer is 'Diverges'?

As n goes to infinity, [itex]\frac{2n+1}{3n-1}[/itex] does not go to zero.

Char. Limit said:
As n goes to infinity, [itex]\frac{2n+1}{3n-1}[/itex] does not go to zero.

oh my bad.. its 1
ln(1) = 0

so the answer is Diverges, S=0. ?

Slimsta said:
oh my bad.. its 1
ln(1) = 0

Wow! Two mistakes in only three lines!

(2n + 1)/(3n - 1) doesn't approach 1, so ln( (2n + 1)/(3n - 1)) doesn't approach 0.

Furthermore, in a series [itex]\sum a_n[/itex], if lim an = 0, you can't conclude much of anything. Consider [itex]\sum 1/n[/itex] and [itex]\sum 1/n^2[/itex]. In both series an --> 0, but the first series diverges and the second series converges.

Sorry. This is incorrect.

I can not speak too much about series convergence/divergence, but I can talk about a sequence:

What happens to [tex]\frac{2n+1}{3n-1}[/tex] as n ---> infinity?

You can rig this so that the 1's cancel and you are then left with [tex]\frac{2n}{3n}[/tex] which obviously then cancels down to [tex]\frac{2}{3}[/tex] (i.e. the limit of the sequence).

Now as you are actually dealing with a natural log, the limit of the sequence in actual fact is [tex]ln(\frac{2}{3})[/tex]

If you wished to prove this you could do the following for all n > N: [tex]|ln (\frac{2n+1}{3n-1}) - ln(\frac{2}{3})|<\epsilon [/tex] Also, note that this sum is not a geometric progression: you find r as such: [tex]r = \frac{t_{n}}{t_{n-1}} [/tex] where [tex] t_{n} [/tex] is the nth term of the series. Take note of the second term of the sequence, it equals zero, and division by zero is undefined. Also, r is the common ratio. So the series is, by definition, not geometric in nature.

I am not absolutely sure of this, but I believe the series in fact diverges to negative infinity, because of the simplification of the natural log as per above. You have an infinite number of ln(2/3) to multiply out which is equal (in a very loose sense) to negative infinity. I may be wrong however.

Last edited:
Slimsta said:
oh my bad.. its 1
ln(1) = 0

The series diverges, but not due the reasons you pointed out (which were not only incorrect).

Think about what happens if the n-th term in your sum does not tend to 0. Why does the following series diverge?

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty k = k + k + k + k + k + \dotsm[/tex]

where [itex]k\not=0[/itex]. Think about how this relates to the series in the original problem.

1. What does it mean for a series to converge or diverge?

A series converges if the terms of the series approach a finite limit as the number of terms increases. In other words, the sum of the terms in a convergent series will approach a specific value. Conversely, a series diverges if the terms of the series do not approach a finite limit and the sum of the terms either approaches infinity or does not have a defined value.

2. How do you determine if a series converges or diverges?

There are several tests that can be used to determine if a series converges or diverges, such as the divergence test, comparison test, ratio test, and integral test. These tests involve analyzing the behavior of the terms in the series and comparing them to known convergent or divergent series.

3. What is the importance of knowing if a series converges or diverges?

Knowing if a series converges or diverges is crucial in many mathematical and scientific applications. It allows us to determine the behavior and predict the outcome of a system or process. In addition, the convergence or divergence of a series can also provide insights into the underlying patterns and relationships within the series.

4. Can a series both converge and diverge?

No, a series can only either converge or diverge. It cannot do both simultaneously. However, it is possible for different series within a larger set to have different convergence or divergence behaviors.

5. How is the concept of convergence or divergence used in real-world scenarios?

The concept of convergence or divergence is widely used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and finance. For example, in physics, the convergence or divergence of a series can help determine the stability or instability of a system. In finance, it can be used to analyze the growth or decline of investments. Overall, understanding the convergence or divergence of series helps us make informed decisions and predictions in real-world situations.