Series with binomial coefficients

In summary, the conversation discusses a seemingly simple equation in Mathematica code and the use of the FullSimplify command. The equation involves sums, binomial coefficients, and variables p, q, m, and n. The conversation mentions that the equation can be translated into LaTeX form, which is provided in the conversation. It is mentioned that the expression on the right side of the nCs term on both sides should be equal.
ydydry
Hi all, I have an apparently simple equation. I copy here its Mathematica code:

Sum[(p/(1 - p))^s*(q/(1 - q))^s*Binomial[n, s]*(Binomial[m - 1, s]*(p*q*(m + n) + (2*m - 1)*(-p - q + 1))), {s, 0, n}] == Sum[(p/(1 - p))^s*(q/(1 - q))^s*Binomial[n, s]*((-(-p - q + 1))*Binomial[m - 2, s] + m*p*q*Binomial[m, s] + m*(-p - q + 1)*(Binomial[m - 2, s] + Binomial[m, s])), {s, 0, n}]

Mathematica's FullSimplify command immediately tells me that it is an identity, giving me "True" as output, but I fail to see the analytical reason.

All parameters are weakly positive and reals, although I do not need to assume anything for Mathematica to tell me that it is indeed an identity.

Thanks a lot!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Try translating the equation into latex form.

\overset{n}{\underset{s=0}{\sum }}\left( \frac{pq}{(1-p)(1-q)}\right)
^{s}\left( \begin{array}{c}n \\
s%
\end{array}%
\right) \left[ \left( \begin{array}{c}m-1 \\
s%
\end{array}%
\right) (pq(m+n)+(2m-1)(1-p-q))\right] =\overset{n}{\underset{s=0}{\sum }}%
\left( \frac{pq}{(1-p)(1-q)}\right) ^{s}\left( \begin{array}{c}n \\
s%
\end{array}%
\right) \left[ (m-1)\left( \begin{array}{c}m-2 \\
s%
\end{array}%
\right) (1-p-q)+\left( \begin{array}{c}m \\
s%
\end{array}%
\right) mpq+\left( \begin{array}{c}m \\
s%
\end{array}%
\right) m(1-p-q))\right]

I apologize for the last attempt to write the code in Latex. I am not familiar with the software, and I clearly failed. I enclose a picture of the expression, which should be more readable than the non-sense above code

Attachments

• Sin título.png
    Sin título.png
    17 KB · Views: 536
It looks messy enough. Try looking at the expression to the right of nCs on both sides and see if they are equal.

1. What are binomial coefficients?

Binomial coefficients are numbers that appear in the expansion of binomial expressions, which are expressions with two terms. They represent the coefficients of the terms in the binomial expansion and are also known as the "choose" function in combinatorics.

2. What is the formula for calculating binomial coefficients?

The formula for binomial coefficients is n choose k, which is written as (n choose k) or nCk. It can be calculated using the following formula: nCk = n! / (k! * (n-k)!), where n is the total number of items and k is the number of items chosen.

3. What is the significance of binomial coefficients in mathematics?

Binomial coefficients have many applications in mathematics, including in the binomial theorem, probability, and Pascal's triangle. They also have connections to other areas such as algebra, calculus, and number theory.

4. How do you find the value of a specific binomial coefficient?

To find the value of a specific binomial coefficient, you can either use the formula nCk = n! / (k! * (n-k)!) or refer to a binomial coefficient table. You can also use the shortcut method of Pascal's triangle to find the value.

5. Can binomial coefficients be negative or decimal numbers?

No, binomial coefficients are always non-negative integers. This is because they represent the number of ways to choose k items from a set of n items, which cannot be negative or a decimal. If the result of the formula for calculating the binomial coefficient is not a whole number, it is rounded down to the nearest integer.