Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series with binomial coefficients

1. Mar 5, 2015 #1
    Hi all, I have an apparently simple equation. I copy here its Mathematica code:

Sum[(p/(1 - p))^s*(q/(1 - q))^s*Binomial[n, s]*(Binomial[m - 1, s]*(p*q*(m + n) + (2*m - 1)*(-p - q + 1))), {s, 0, n}] == Sum[(p/(1 - p))^s*(q/(1 - q))^s*Binomial[n, s]*((-(-p - q + 1))*Binomial[m - 2, s] + m*p*q*Binomial[m, s] + m*(-p - q + 1)*(Binomial[m - 2, s] + Binomial[m, s])), {s, 0, n}]

Mathematica's FullSimplify command immediately tells me that it is an identity, giving me "True" as output, but I fail to see the analytical reason.

All parameters are weakly positive and reals, although I do not need to assume anything for Mathematica to tell me that it is indeed an identity.

Thanks a lot!!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2015 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try translating the equation into latex form.

4. Mar 6, 2015 #3
    \overset{n}{\underset{s=0}{\sum }}\left( \frac{pq}{(1-p)(1-q)}\right)
    ^{s}\left( \begin{array}{c}n \\
    s%
    \end{array}%
    \right) \left[ \left( \begin{array}{c}m-1 \\
    s%
    \end{array}%
    \right) (pq(m+n)+(2m-1)(1-p-q))\right] =\overset{n}{\underset{s=0}{\sum }}%
    \left( \frac{pq}{(1-p)(1-q)}\right) ^{s}\left( \begin{array}{c}n \\
    s%
    \end{array}%
    \right) \left[ (m-1)\left( \begin{array}{c}m-2 \\
    s%
    \end{array}%
    \right) (1-p-q)+\left( \begin{array}{c}m \\
    s%
    \end{array}%
    \right) mpq+\left( \begin{array}{c}m \\
    s%
    \end{array}%
    \right) m(1-p-q))\right]

5. Mar 6, 2015 #4
    I apologize for the last attempt to write the code in Latex. I am not familiar with the software, and I clearly failed. I enclose a picture of the expression, which should be more readable than the non-sense above code

Attached Files:

6. Mar 6, 2015 #5

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It looks messy enough. Try looking at the expression to the right of nCs on both sides and see if they are equal.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook