Set 4.5x - 9(1-x) to Equal -1 with TI 83 Calculator

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Kombaiyashii
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Set
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Kombaiyashii
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Hi.

I would like to make the answer equal -1

here's the formula:

4.5(x) - 9(1-x)

How do I set this to equal -1? (This isn't homework, I'm working out some poker math and am not very good at this type of thing.) I use a TI 83 calculator.
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's the same as 4.5(x) - 9(1-x)+1 = 0

Take a hint from me:
If you want to learn math, set your calculator aside.
 
To "set" something to -1 means to write "= -1" at the end! So to "set" 4.5x- 9(1- x) to -1 is just to write 4.5x- 9(1- x)= -1. If you mean "find the value of x that makes this true", use the usual "rules" of algebra. First multiply out those parentheses:
4.5x- 9+ 9x= -1
Add the terms in x, 13.5x- 9= -1. Now add 9 to both sides, then divide both sides by 13.5.

Using a calculator to do that is like using a calculator to add "1+ 1" (and I have seen people do that!).