Should I get a new graphing calculator?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a TI-84 Plus Silver calculator for Calculus and other high level math courses. Some alternatives such as the TI Nspire and more powerful options like MATLAB or freemat on a PC or PocketCAS on an iPad are mentioned. It is noted that the TI Nspire may not be allowed on tests, but the TI-84 is considered more user-friendly. The speakers also question the necessity of using TI calculators in the future, as phones and computers are more powerful.
ScienceMan
So I have a TI-84 Plus Silver edition that I've had for 10 years. It's kind of beat up but it works perfectly fine. I know the model has been discontinued in favor of a newer one, and I've already encountered a feature it lacks due to its age (it was something in an introductory stats course, I don't remember anything else). Is it worth getting a new calculator that's more up to date? I'm in Calculus 1 right now and I plan to take pretty much all of the computational math classes and some of the upper division classes as well. Is there a specific type that's good for high level math?

Likes bellesbarbara
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Why not use something more powerful like MATLAB or freemat on a PC or PocketCAS on ipad/iphone or something similar?

There's also the Desmos calculator online that provides a lot of computing capability.

I got a TI Nspire and its pretty sweet. However its not allowed on most tests (CAS version). I also have a TI 84 and its a lot more user friendly for a newb like myself.
I will say that my buddy who is in his senior year of engineering loves his Nspire. Apparently it does large calculations in a fraction of the time. Keep in mind that if you get the Nspire CAS, it will not be allowed on tests, but the non CAS version will.

jedishrfu said:
Why not use something more powerful like MATLAB or freemat on a PC or PocketCAS on ipad/iphone or something similar?

There's also the Desmos calculator online that provides a lot of computing capability.
One of the expected outcomes ScienceMan may have is to be allowed pre-approved device to use in-class, maybe something already approved for possible use on tests and quizes.

DS2C said:
I got a TI Nspire and its pretty sweet. However its not allowed on most tests (CAS version). I also have a TI 84 and its a lot more user friendly for a newb like myself.
I will say that my buddy who is in his senior year of engineering loves his Nspire. Apparently it does large calculations in a fraction of the time. Keep in mind that if you get the Nspire CAS, it will not be allowed on tests, but the non CAS version will.
..., and we may wonder about which models are allowed to be used on education regulatory tests done at testing-centers.

Likes bellesbarbara
No. You don't need a calculator more than the TI-84 Plus Silver for your classes. Also, these TI calculators probably won't be very useful to you after you finish college since your phone is probably 1000 times more powerful, and you probably will have access to a computer for hard calculations.

Likes symbolipoint

1. Should I get a new graphing calculator if my old one still works?

It depends on your needs and the condition of your current calculator. If your old one is still functioning properly and meets all of your mathematical needs, there may not be a need to get a new one. However, if your calculator is starting to malfunction or is missing important features that you need, it may be time to consider getting a new one.

2. How often should I replace my graphing calculator?

There is no set rule for when you should replace your graphing calculator. As long as it is functioning properly and meets your needs, there is no need to replace it. However, if it starts to malfunction or is no longer meeting your mathematical needs, it may be time to consider getting a new one.

3. What features should I look for in a new graphing calculator?

The features you should look for in a new graphing calculator depend on your specific needs. Some important features to consider include the ability to graph multiple equations, a large screen, and a variety of mathematical functions. It is also important to consider the brand and its reputation for durability and accuracy.

4. Is it worth investing in a more expensive graphing calculator?

The answer to this question depends on your needs and budget. If you are a student who only needs basic mathematical functions, a less expensive calculator may suffice. However, if you are a professional or student in advanced math courses, investing in a more expensive calculator with advanced features may be a wise decision.

5. Can I use a graphing calculator on standardized tests?

It depends on the specific standardized test you are taking. Some tests, such as the SAT, allow the use of certain graphing calculators. However, others, like the ACT, do not allow the use of any graphing calculators. It is important to check the guidelines for the specific test you will be taking to determine if a graphing calculator is allowed.