Set Theory: P(P{1}) and its cardinality

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion regarding notation and the cardinality of a set containing the empty set and the set {1}. The expert clarifies that the empty set is a subset of every set, but may or may not be an element of a given set. The cardinality of the set {EmptySet, {1}} is two, not three, due to the distinction between elements and subsets.
NecroWinter
The notation has me a bit confused...

Heres my logic

for the P({1}) on the inside

{EmptySet, {{1}}}
reason being, you always include the empty set, {1} is a part of the set. The cardinality is two

You have the set: {EmptySet, {{1}}}, and now you have to consider the outer "P"
the possibilities are:{EmptySet, {{1}}},EmptySet, {{1}}
I feel like there should be one more as its cardinality is three, when it should be four, and I don't think order matters

Physics news on Phys.org
NecroWinter said:
The notation has me a bit confused...

Heres my logic

for the P({1}) on the inside

{EmptySet, {{1}}}
reason being, you always include the empty set, {1} is a part of the set. The cardinality is two

You're fine except that you're mistaken about thinking the empty set is an element of every set. What's true is that the empty set is a subset of every set. So the empty set is an element of the power set of every set.

∅ is the empty set.

{∅} is the set containing the empty set. It's the set we call '1' in the von Neumann ordinals. In other words,

{∅} = 1.

Then {∅, 1} = {∅, {∅}} = 2 and so forth. Note that the number of elements of each set is equal to the name of the set. 1 has 1 element, 2 has 2 elements.

Remember the distinction between an element of a set and a subset of a set. The empty set has no elements, but it does have one subset, namely the empty set. The empty set is a subset of every set; but the empty set may or may not be an element of some other given set.

What is P(P{1}) in set theory?

P(P{1}) is the power set of the set {1}, which is the set of all subsets of {1} including the empty set and the set {1} itself.

How is the power set of a set defined?

The power set of a set X, denoted as P(X), is the set of all possible subsets of X. In other words, P(X) contains all the possible combinations of elements from X, including the empty set and the set X itself.

What is the cardinality of P(P{1})?

The cardinality of P(P{1}) is equal to 2^n, where n is the cardinality of the original set. In this case, since the original set {1} has a cardinality of 1, the cardinality of P(P{1}) would be 2^1 = 2.

How can we visualize P(P{1})?

P(P{1}) can be visualized as a set of boxes, where each box represents a subset of {1}. The empty set would be represented by an empty box, and the set {1} itself would be represented by a box with the number 1 inside. The other box would be left empty, representing all the other possible subsets.

What is the relationship between P(P{1}) and P(P{2})?

P(P{1}) and P(P{2}) are both power sets, but they have different cardinalities. While P(P{1}) has a cardinality of 2, P(P{2}) has a cardinality of 4. This relationship can be generalized as P(P{X}) having a cardinality of 2^n, where n is the cardinality of the original set X.