Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Set Theory: P(P{1}) and its cardinality

1. Sep 3, 2012 #1
    The notation has me a bit confused...

Heres my logic

for the P({1}) on the inside

{EmptySet, {{1}}}
    reason being, you always include the empty set, {1} is a part of the set. The cardinality is two

You have the set: {EmptySet, {{1}}}, and now you have to consider the outer "P"
    the possibilities are:{EmptySet, {{1}}},EmptySet, {{1}}
    I feel like there should be one more as its cardinality is three, when it should be four, and I dont think order matters

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2012 #2
    You're fine except that you're mistaken about thinking the empty set is an element of every set. What's true is that the empty set is a subset of every set. So the empty set is an element of the power set of every set.

∅ is the empty set.

{∅} is the set containing the empty set. It's the set we call '1' in the von Neumann ordinals. In other words,

{∅} = 1.

Then {∅, 1} = {∅, {∅}} = 2 and so forth. Note that the number of elements of each set is equal to the name of the set. 1 has 1 element, 2 has 2 elements.

Remember the distinction between an element of a set and a subset of a set. The empty set has no elements, but it does have one subset, namely the empty set. The empty set is a subset of every set; but the empty set may or may not be an element of some other given set.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook