Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Shapes and gravitational radiation

1. Oct 3, 2016 #1

wolram

Gold Member

IIRC , a perfect sphere will not be detectable with a gravitational detector, but an ovoid shaped body will, why is this so? or am i wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2016 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Why do you think what you think?

4. Oct 3, 2016 #3

wolram

Gold Member

I found this on wiki
    Vhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_wave#Rotating_neutron_stars

As noted above, a mass distribution will emit gravitational radiation only when there is spherically asymmetric motion among the masses. A spinning neutron star will generally emit no gravitational radiation because neutron stars are highly dense objects with a strong gravitational field that keeps them almost perfectly spherical. In some cases, however, there might be slight deformities on the surface called "mountains", which are bumps extending no more than 10 centimeters (4 inches) above the surface,[45] that make the spinning spherically asymmetric. This gives the star a quadrupole moment that changes with time, and it will emit gravitational waves until the deformities are smoothed out.

5. Oct 3, 2016 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

So it seems you have answered your own question.

6. Oct 3, 2016 #5

wolram

Gold Member

No, I do not understand the mechanism for the production of gravitational radiation.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2016
  7. Oct 3, 2016 #6

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

In order to have gravitational radiation, you have to have a changing quadrupole moment of the field. A simple spinning sphere won't have that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted