Sharing Ideas with Others, but with Concerns....

• Thread starter Sher
  • Start date
Sher
TL;DR Summary
I am working on a project and would love someone else's brain involved to help get past the blocks in my own, but how do you share your ideas with the threat of others stealing them?
I am working on a project. It is by no means a new invention. There are plenty of these things that already exist out in the world. It has become an art form in a way. At times, I feel stuck or feel a creative block and would love to seek out the input of others who could help problem solve, but how? How do you share your ideas with strangers knowing that anyone person reading could take those ideas and create it before you do?

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
It's usually best to find local folks to collaborate with, rather than random people on the Internet (well, like us...). What is your background? Are you at University now, or have been in the past? Or are you more of an artist with a technical interest and you figure out the physics/engineering issues as you go?

Have you looked around your local area for like-minded folks with similar interests? In the US, you can use resources like NextDoor to find special interest groups in your local area. You can also check out University websites to see if they have clubs or student societies that may share some of your interests, and contact those groups to find out what kind of projects they are working on.

Is there a professional society that covers your interests? For example, I belonged to the Society for Information Display (SID) for many years when I was pursuing some of my ideas in optics and new display technologies...

https://www.sid.org/

Sher
I wish there were such things around here. I live in a small town and do not have access to local resources like that. I appreciate the input though.

Tom.G
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Summary:: I am working on a project and would love someone else's brain involved to help get past the blocks in my own, but how do you share your ideas with the threat of others stealing them?

At times, I feel stuck or feel a creative block and would love to seek out the input of others who could help problem solve, but how? How do you share your ideas with strangers knowing that anyone person reading could take those ideas and create it before you do?

Talk to your friends about the project. At least you have some idea of which ones you can trust.

Just the process of discussing a problem focuses the mind when trying to explain a problem. The other person may or may not have any new ideas, but your mind is hard at work on it.

Cheers,
Tom

Baluncore
Science Advisor
It is by no means a new invention. There are plenty of these things that already exist out in the world. It has become an art form in a way.
Then the concept is now in the community. You are part of that community. Why should you not assist the community that assists you?

At times, I feel stuck or feel a creative block and would love to seek out the input of others who could help problem solve, but how?
Self imposed isolation is usually an overreaction to perfectly normal paranoia. "Inventors" often have an idea that is worth a million dollars, but that is a secret. It is a very common behaviour. It gives you control of your idea, but it cripples your progress until you have been left far behind.

How do you share your ideas with strangers knowing that anyone person reading could take those ideas and create it before you do?
Earlier you wrote "There are plenty of these things that already exist out in the world".
Most isolated inventors are so far behind that they think they are first. The sooner you make your ideas public, the sooner you can play your part by advancing the field.

hutchphd
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2022 Award
How do you share your ideas with strangers knowing that anyone person reading could take those ideas and create it before you do?
What is your hoped-for outcome here? Do you wish to produce an object for profit? Are you wanting recognition? You cannot communicate without sharing information.
So why is this important to you?

Suggested for: Sharing Ideas with Others, but with Concerns....

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies